Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Adaptions?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Naylz

Adaptions?

Post by Naylz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:28 pm

Ok so I’ve been playing with my code reader and when scrolling through its many menus I’ve noticed one that allows you the clear/erase “Adaptions”. So firstly what are they? Is it wise to just clear them if I have no idea what if any there are? I have no fault codes at present so I assume everything is working as it should. Advice greatly appreciated 😎

Naylz

Adaptions?

Post by Naylz » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:49 pm

:tumbleweed: googled it. As my z4 recently had issues with the valvetronic and has now had a new actuator/ motor and a new eccentric shaft sensor which has now cleared all fault codes, would I be right in thinking this adaptive thing would have learnt to adapt with the previous valvetronic faults??? And now they are fixed would that apaption (if that's how it works) be redundant, i.e. If I clear adaptions using my reader will it make a difference? ....a good one I hope. OR am I playing with Fire clearing adaptions????

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Adaptions?

Post by ph001 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Feel free to clear them. Adaptations basically consist of STFT (short term fuel trims) and LTFT (long term fuel trims). The former are volatile (i.e are reset when you turn your ignition off) the latter are not. Car might run a little lumpy when you reset them for a few miles but will soon sort itself out. Actually can be a good thing to reset them if you change a major component/ sensor.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Adaptions?

Post by MACK » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:33 am

I'm never really sure if the key/ignition on off sequence for the throttle body test/adaption really actually works. But when I've done it in adaptions with INPA I've definitely noticed the difference so it's worth while.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)