Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof motor issues

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
atreyu

Roof motor issues

Post by atreyu » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:07 am

As a new owner I'm after some help regarding the roof motor.

It's been relocated by the previous owner into the boot, he said it was originally full of water suffering the usual issues. Apparently after a drying out etc it worked fine in the boot until recently.

Since I've bought the car the roof unlatches at the front correctly, the motor can be heard running for 5-6seconds but nothing happens.

I'm wondering if it's worth topping up the fluid as with the motor sitting at a slight angle perhaps it requires more? (but then why did it work for the P.O).

Or is the motor knackered and requires replacing. If so, what is the best viable option. Are there rebuild kits available/recon motors etc?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Roof motor issues

Post by ph001 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:28 am

Are you able to move the roof manually? If so then it suggests the bypass valve plunger is stuck in. This commonly happens when the red bowden cable has been pulled in the boot. That pushes the bypass plunger in on the motor which then sticks in and doesn’t return. Fortunately as you have the motor in the boot you can pretty easily inspect it and see if that is the problem.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Roof motor issues

Post by Number5 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:33 am

The roof motor you can hear running for 5-6 seconds is the latching motor at the front. The hydraulic motor should kick in after that but it sounds like its not happening.

Id suggest you get someone to sit in the car pressing the roof down button, whilst you give the motor in the boot a slight tap with a small hammer. That will help the brushes to make contact and it should start spinning.
Last edited by Number5 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

G600

Roof motor issues

Post by G600 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:02 am

Number5 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:33 am
Id suggest you get someone to sit in the car pressing the roof down button, whilst you give the motor in the boot a slight tap with a small hammer. That will help the bushes to make contact and it should start spinning.
Are the brushes replaceable? I have to do this occasionally to get my motor turning.
E85 3.0

atreyu

Roof motor issues

Post by atreyu » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:33 am

Well that didn't quite go to plan, I went to film a video prooving the motor is turning and it isn't just the latching motor.

Anyway the roof came down! All I did was fiddle with the bypass arm on the motor and I held the motor upright. I really think the fluid level is too low which combined with being sat at a funny angle in the boot rather than vertical isn't helping.

It does sound terrible though and I can see the armature is rusty. I'll top it up with oil now and see how it performs.

Is there anyone that sells the parts to rebuild the motor or a good quality swop out unit?