Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Shaking steering wheel 60-85mph

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
thecookie125

Post by thecookie125 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Evening all, had a fault recently after fitting new wheels.

My steering wheel starts to shake 65-85mph after I fitted the new wheels, this was absolute NOT present before this change.

The tyre fitting place struggled to balance one of the front wheels originally claiming it was my tyre that was out of shape. After another go when the shaking started they then claimed the new wheel was buckled. I didn’t believe them at this point and got a second opinion, once again buckled wheel!

I got the rim replaced by the seller free of charge and had the tyre blown across and refitted, this one balanced just fine. Test drive and a smooth road the shaking is still there but just not as bad.

I informed the garage and they recommended getting the remaining three wheels balanced by them.

That takes us up to today, I’ve now has all four wheels balanced by the independent, they stated that the remaining three where all out and had to be adjusted. Test driven it this evening and low and behold I’ve got shaking steering still present between 65-80.

Previously I’ve replaced the front brakes and suspension bushes so those are ruled out.

Does any one have any ideas before I set fire to it 🔥🚗😈

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:49 pm

Swap back to the original wheels and see if it does it then. If not, the new wheels/tyres are pish
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Were the tyres brand new? what brand were they?
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:34 pm

Where are you? Swap the wheels and tyres over from another Zed, if you can find a volunteer. Then you will at least know it is definitely the wheels or tyres and not a caliper nipping. Probably worth walking around the car after a drive and checking all the wheels are a similar temperature. If one is warmer then get the calipers checked over.

thecookie125

Post by thecookie125 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:56 pm

unfortunately I sold them 😑

front tyres are off my old set of wheels and rears are new all sport contact 5

will triple check but brakes are always the same temp, this literally started when I swapped the wheels :(

thecookie125

Post by thecookie125 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Also didn’t mention it went through an mot two weeks ago with just rear tyres as advisories

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:34 pm

You haven't told us where you are yet.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:37 pm

I really wish folk would put in their profile where they are, it would be so useful to know for so many reasons.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 pm

I will just ask.. These ain't bloody runflats are they?
So you put your good used tyres back on the front of the new rims yes?
OK well this is just observed experience here, I have no documented proof but I will share
I observed when I did the same as you I experienced a similar action. You see.. A tyre settles in to the rim as it wears, so when you take the tyre off the rim and put it onto another rim you will have highs and lows points on the tyre that will now have to re bed in. You have 2 choices. Be patient as it will take maybe 500 miles to re settle, or try them on the back and put the new tyres on the front. I recommend the latter, as you can still bed the tyres in on the back but with reduced vibrations hopefully. There remains the question of the rims but that's up-to you to know.

Kevoz4

Post by Kevoz4 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:51 pm

I had a similar steering shake between 50 and 70 but mine became evident that it was a ceased front brake caliper because about 2 weeks after the shake started it completely ceased up solid, after replacing the caliper the shake disappeared.
Cheers Kev.

2005 Titan Silver BMW Z4 E85 2.0SE
2013 Graphite BMW 120d Sport
1972 Pimento Red Triumph TR6 2.5 Pi
1979 Azzurro Blue Lancia Beta Coupe 1.6

thecookie125

Post by thecookie125 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:19 am

road warrior wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 pm I will just ask.. These ain't bloody runflats are they?
So you put your good used tyres back on the front of the new rims yes?
OK well this is just observed experience here, I have no documented proof but I will share
I observed when I did the same as you I experienced a similar action. You see.. A tyre settles in to the rim as it wears, so when you take the tyre off the rim and put it onto another rim you will have highs and lows points on the tyre that will now have to re bed in. You have 2 choices. Be patient as it will take maybe 500 miles to re settle, or try them on the back and put the new tyres on the front. I recommend the latter, as you can still bed the tyres in on the back but with reduced vibrations hopefully. There remains the question of the rims but that's up-to you to know.
Nope not runflats, and your correct there the good used tyres off my old wheels about 50% worn.

Sorry for not saying where I am, I’m near Hull.

As far as the tyre on the rim thing, these are staggered wheels more or less in 108 spec aside from a slightly lower offset and a 9J. I haven’t looked into if I could get these on the front without rubbing then I could eliminate the wheels and tyres from this.

thecookie125

Post by thecookie125 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:20 am

Just thinking out loud, would a loose calliper bolt cause something like this?

AlienZed

Post by AlienZed » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:36 am

In addition to all the other comments are the rear tyres u got the advisory still on the car.
If so have a look at them.
I had a similar problem did everything new discs pads etc turned out to be one of the rear tyres at fault and transmitted the unbalance thro to the steering.
Changed the rears prob gone.
Moz

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:58 am

If they are staggered then you still have 2 choices.. As you can't swap them you can either ride it out so to speak or change the tyres on the front. So I suggest you try changing the tyre pressures to force it to sit on new rubber so to speak. Have you checked the tyre pressures as tyre fitters are notorious for sticking any old pressure in.

thecookie125

Post by thecookie125 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:17 am

road warrior wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:58 am If they are staggered then you still have 2 choices.. As you can't swap them you can either ride it out so to speak or change the tyres on the front. So I suggest you try changing the tyre pressures to force it to sit on new rubber so to speak. Have you checked the tyre pressures as tyre fitters are notorious for sticking any old pressure in.
I run 32 in the fronts and that’s what there up to now.

An update however I’ve swapped the axles round so I’ve now got a 9J on the front and the vibration has been eliminated, I’ve checked the callipers all are the same temp, I’ve checked bushes etc are tight which they all are, so everything in my mind is pointing to the older tyres been the issue.

I’ve also spoke to the tech who worked on the car and he said that all the wheels are 0.00 balanced up and they are both inner and outer weighted. He said the rims aren’t straight the only thing he noticed was a slight movement in the near side front tyre.