Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Soft Top Opening but won't lock down

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
steve_newlands

Post by steve_newlands » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Guys,
I'm a newbie Z4 owner of a 2006 2.0L model (an upgrade from our MX5 summer car).
I bought a very clean Z4 with an issue with the roof.
When opening the roof - windows go down/ roof unlatches and roof starts to fold back. The RHS side goes all the way down, but on the LHS the roof doesn't go all the way and sits around 1" higher than the RHS (the red light is flashing).
I've released the red tab and it feels like something physical is stopping it going fully down.
I initially assumed that it wasn't folding properly or sticky hinges - but I've checked everything that I can think of.

On closing the roof - it goes up and latches perfectly everytime.

The previous owner just lived with it and it never bothered him but I'd like to have it working 100%

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Have you checked there isnt something on the shelf. Or is the shelf itself actually fully clipped in etc
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:28 pm

With the roof up have a good feel around the parcel shelf area. I've relocated loads of roof motors and owners are amazed what Ive found tucked around the corner, from lunch boxes to the leather owners manual.

Secondly, has the motor been relocated to the boot ? As sometimes the hydraulic lines passing through that area can cause a slight obstruction and make the roof sit a tad higher if they're not tied down neatly.

Thirdly, sometimes the roof doesn't always fold in the order it should and the window can catch on the rear bulkhead trim.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

steve_newlands

Post by steve_newlands » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:36 pm

Lads,
You guys are legends!!
Just popped out to the car, routed around and found the BMW owners pack jammed down between the parcel shelf area and the roof.
The roof now works as normal and goes all the way down - I suspect that my pump may need a service as I've just got to give the roof a wee push to engage the lock.
I'm delighted that the roof issue is solved and I found the BMW owners/ service pack!!
Many thanks!! :thumbsup: