Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

hesitation when trying to blip

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:54 am

road warrior wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:14 pm
wonkydonkey wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:44 pm It could well be running lean when you blip then, if you've de-restricted the exhaust. Backward tuning :rofl:
I'm still very happy with trade off. The noise is glorious and in real terms I'm more than happy
Motorbikes very often suffer from this same issue. With such short exhaust runs (and being naturally aspirated) they are highly sensitive to any changes to backpressure. Swap exhausts for a better noise and you'll almost always need to give the fuel map a tweak to resolve resultant flat spots.

If this blipping issue bugs you in time (it would for me I think), you could probably take it to someone to map out the problem :)
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:55 am

road warrior wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm I am aware I have a powerloss since the dlv back box but I don't mind too much, the noise is worth the slight drop so that's fine, but it might affect something like the blip with all the gurgling and noises going on.. If an engine is a musical instrument, then....
Has anyone else noticed a drop in power with a fettled backbox or an aftermarket one? I've seen some chatter about this being a potential issue with a backbox delete but nothing about it also being an issue with modded backboxes or aftermarket ones etc
I really don't see how straight piping the backbox with the same diameter pipe as the rest of the exhaust would reduce gas velocity and consequentially effect scavenging etc. If anything the design of the standard backbox with its lack of any real internal piping would act as a restriction, reduce gas velocity and scavenging. Its not like folks are suddenly sticking a 4" full system on, so gas velocity is reduced
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

ErrErrminator

Post by ErrErrminator » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:23 am

MACK wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:55 am
road warrior wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:05 pm I am aware I have a powerloss since the dlv back box but I don't mind too much, the noise is worth the slight drop so that's fine, but it might affect something like the blip with all the gurgling and noises going on.. If an engine is a musical instrument, then....
Has anyone else noticed a drop in power with a fettled backbox or an aftermarket one? I've seen some chatter about this being a potential issue with a backbox delete but nothing about it also being an issue with modded backboxes or aftermarket ones etc
I have a DLV modded backbox on my pre-FL 2.5. It was on the car when I got it, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I've always felt that it performs very well and has never felt like it might be lacking. For the OP 'blipping' has never been an issue, so can't shed any light on this.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:36 am

I really don't see how straight piping the backbox with the same diameter pipe as the rest of the exhaust would reduce gas velocity and consequentially effect scavenging etc. If anything the design of the standard backbox with its lack of any real internal piping would act as a restriction, reduce gas velocity and scavenging. Its not like folks are suddenly sticking a 4" full system on, so gas velocity is reduced
It’s probably going to reduce back pressure with a straight piped rear box which will have an effect on torque, there was a link on here a while back from M3 cutters where someone had dyno tested there car & found it 20-30bhp down with a modded back box :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Phoenixboy

Post by Phoenixboy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:40 am

Smartbear wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:36 am

It’s probably going to reduce back pressure with a straight piped rear box which will have an effect on torque, there was a link on here a while back from M3 cutters where someone had dyno tested there car & found it 20-30bhp down with a modded back box :?
Rob
guess i will stick with the cd playing loud exhaust noises then :wink:
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:58 am

Rob
Interesting result, but that said the M3 backbox is piped entirely differently to a 3.0i/si as standard so I'm not too sure its a fair comparison. I did give this a lot of though before modding mine and personally I've always thought that the non M E85/6 backbox's lack of internal piping, with all the gases forced to travel through the wadding is primarily about noise reduction and that it actually causes a big restriction to gas flow so would damage exhaust gas velocity and as they're intrinsically linked scavenging/vacuum (or back pressure as its commonly know). At the end of the day the trick is to have pipework big enough to get all the gases out whilst maximizing gas velocity. Go too big and you screw this by slowing the gas velocity down

I guess if a modded back box is actually hurting performance in some way due to its straight through perforated pipe design then the same has to be said for the plethora of aftermarket backboxes out there as they all follow the same basic design principle.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:04 am

Rob
Doesn't mean much unless they also have Dyno runs from the exact same Dyno in the same atmospheric conditions before and after the modification though, dynos are great at showing gains and losses if run before and after but beyond that, they're not accurate in any way scientifically.

For what it's worth I had my box changed, noticed no difference at all except the noise.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm

mjennings23 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:04 am
MACK wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:55 am Has anyone else noticed a drop in power with a fettled backbox or an aftermarket one? I've seen some chatter about this being a potential issue with a backbox delete but nothing about it also being an issue with modded backboxes or aftermarket ones etc
Rob
Doesn't mean much unless they also have Dyno runs from the exact same Dyno in the same atmospheric conditions before and after the modification though, dynos are great at showing gains and losses if run before and after but beyond that, they're not accurate in any way scientifically.

For what it's worth I had my box changed, noticed no difference at all except the noise.
Very true.
Same here, the only difference Ive noticed is with my ears! :rofl:
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:03 am

to add to the mix im looking at the missing blip and reasonably sure thats a weak mixture, i have a clean exhaust but not a white one and,, without another to compare side by side.. as i listen to it ticking over i can detect sucking of air, a little bit of research shows there are many pipes that could be sucking in air, so where is the nearest e85 3.0i to me,(burton on trent) Neils is supercharged so hardly a comparison..
anyone ?
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:06 am

also, back in thr day - crypton tuning could attach a lead and check for even firing - vaccum, compression ect and presumably mixture.. can carly do that ?
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MACK » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:38 pm

If you think you have an air leak on the 3.0i the rubber elbow that attaches to the throttle body has a little pipe as part of it. They're renowned for perishing and causing an airleak. That's where I'd start
Silver 05 3.0i SE

White E89 20i M Sport

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:57 pm

MACK wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:38 pm If you think you have an air leak on the 3.0i the rubber elbow that attaches to the throttle body has a little pipe as part of it. They're renowned for perishing and causing an airleak. That's where I'd start
thanks, got a pic so i can find it ?

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:36 pm

BEEN THINKING, the o2 sensor in the exhaust tells the computer what the mix is, if we increase the flow or back pressure maybe it will wrongly diagnose the richness.
on tickover my short term fuel trim stays around -3 to +3 - going to about 8 ish when i boot it - so not weak - i have also checked for any air or manifold leaks by spraying carb cleaner over the hoses and manifold and air box - nothin.. not so much as a flicker.
thoughts ? i suppose remapping it would work - any more thoughts or ideas ?

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:50 pm

thing is, i have absolutely no power loss or side effects on the 2.0.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:27 pm

i tried something today and was amazed.. i stuffed a rag into one of the exhaust pipes, and it all went quiet - barely louder than the exhaust before it was dlv'd and then took it up the road, not only was it quiet but i swear it felt like there was less power ! i made a comment earlier about the exhaust being an instrument of sound - well it certainly sounds and feel like it.
I did to try and replicate/simulate how the untouched exhaust might be pressure wise. I tried both sides alternatively with the same effect and sound, with one side being slightly quieter than the other - so im happy to announce i unplugged it again for the glorious sound :thumbsup: