Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil Leak

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
darchard

Oil Leak

Post by darchard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Forgot to say I checked the rocker cover gasket and it looks fine now. No evidence of any leaks from there.

darchard

Oil Leak

Post by darchard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi Jl-c,
Could you clarify which seal you mean?
Thanks,
David

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Oil Leak

Post by Chris_D » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:23 pm

HAve you looked around the oil filter housing gasket to check for leaks there?
I had to replace cam cover gasket as well as the ofh gasket. (note, not the rubber ring where the oil filtersits but where the front end of the block mates with the oil filter. get a torch in there and look for signs of leakage on the honeycomb structure on the passenger side of your engine.

If it isn't this then it could be worst case scenario, as jl-c suggests - your main engine-gearbox seal.
And yes, those belts also look way past their best.

Could also be your sump gasket but I doubt it due to oil still originating possibly at the top end of the engine.

Are you measuring oil-loss. If significant then it could be worth a visit to an indy....

good luck
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

patriot66
Lifer
Lifer

Oil Leak

Post by patriot66 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:37 pm

I agree with Chris_D. Take a long hard look at the Oil Filter Housing gasket. First of all you need to clean up to properly see what's leaking. Get some Gunk degreaser, spray on, brush in, hose off and blow it dry with an air line if you have one.
The alternator is mounted on a very elaborate cast bracket that is also the Oil Filter Housing
maxresdefault-1.jpg
maxresdefault-1.jpg (106.88 KiB) Viewed 649 times
It bolts on here, where all the oil is running from
as9.jpg
as9.jpg (88.35 KiB) Viewed 649 times
I'm fairly sure all this mess in your photo is coming from this gasket
One.jpg
One.jpg (195.67 KiB) Viewed 649 times
I replaced mine last year and it's an hour job tops to remove the alternator and bracket and fit a new gasket, and you can replace that shot-at serpentine belt at the same time :thumbsup:
Sterling Grey '03 2.5i SE / Infinitas Supercharger / S.M.G / Hardtop / Gloss Black 162s / Bilstein B4s / 3.0i Brakes / DLV De-Cat & Silencer / Rebuilt VANOS / Sonar 2Xcite Lights / Carbon & Alcantara Trim / M-Sport Seats / ...& Side Covers !

darchard

Oil Leak

Post by darchard » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks guys,
I've got the gunk now so I'll clean the engine tomorrow and order the gasket and the drive belt.
If that sorts the oil problems I'll be a very happy man :D
I'll keep you updated.
Cheers,
David

mr nurburgring

Oil Leak

Post by mr nurburgring » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:45 pm

Oil filter housing gasket and front crank seal as a good guess.

darchard

Oil Leak

Post by darchard » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:16 am

Latest update: I changed the oil filter housing seal and the drive belt over the weekend. It was a nightmare getting the new drive belt on as the tensioning cog was extremely tight/stiff and didn't want to move. I eventually got it on with the help of a wooden hammer handle and a piece of rope (don't ask!). I really don't want to have to do that again :thumbsdown:

I noticed that the bolt which attaches the vanos unit oil line to the oil filter housing had only one washer on it instead of two. Was I supposed to replace the washers with new ones? I didn't have any so I had to replace the bolt using just the original single washer. Hopefully it will be ok.

Changing the rocker cover gasket and ofh seal seems to have stopped most of the oil leaks. Annoyingly however there is still a small amount dripping from the metal protective cover plate, in the area to the back of the driver side front wheel. I think it's forward of the sump hatch so I'm hopeful it's not the engine/gearbox seal. What else could it be though? The sump gasket? Anything else?

I'll get her back on the axle stands this weekend, take a proper look and get some more pictures.

I just hope this ends soon!
David

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Oil Leak

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:49 am

sump gasket could be possible.. mine has just recently given up and been replaced.. apparently bmw use old recycled sweetie wrappers or something of the ilk for gasket materials as ive now done the oil flter housing, rocker cover and sump over the last 4 years :D
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D