Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N52 Small DISA rubber perished - Need advice on replacement

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:51 am

mcentral wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:03 am I wrote a bunch of stuff earlier but it all got wipe when I stepped out for a little bit, had to log back in. :x
Anyways I basically went ahead and did the test and it appears to be functioning but not perfect. I order 2 new units.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/EiStxboZCzM[/youtube]
Whoa.... your large DISA looks totally fubar’d! What symptoms were you getting? Also, were you expecting the small disa to fully close?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:13 pm

:(
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

chewabledrapery

Post by chewabledrapery » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:05 pm

Hi,

I had a z4 until a few years ago but we had a kid so I have an E61 530i now 😂 I always had good experience/help on this forum and we have the same motor...

Soooo...

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the cheap amazon/ebay DISA valves?

I have a silvertop N52B30 with the three stage manifold and both my valves are seized, they won't rotate when testing in ISTA+

I split one open with a blade and it was absolutely full of oil, the servo itself works when I plug in the half of the unit with the motor/control board in it and run the test in ISTA+

So I'm in a quandary as to whether I repair them using the i6 repair kits or to try cheap "oem" ones. For the mileage on the car I will not be buying new from bmw and ones from a breakers may also fail for £120 odd each.

I'm leaning towards repairing myself but thought I'd ask in case anyone has a positive experience of the Chinese copies...

Cheers all, Dean

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:36 pm

If your DISA is full of oil then you have a problem with the crankcase ventilation system (CCV). You need to get that sorted first before fitting a new DISA otherwise you will just end up in same position in a few months time.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

chewabledrapery

Post by chewabledrapery » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:47 am

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, yeah i was working on the assumption that the CCV was gone as i have various oil leaks from the valve cover and the engine/underside of the car is plastered in engine oil.

So I'd taken the car off the road to do the valve cover gasket, clean the engine and replace the CCV, so 2 seized oil-filled DISA valves has double-confirmed my suspicions!

I've ordered one each of these to try and repair the valves :-

https://www.i6automotive.co.uk/aluminiu ... rge-v.html
https://www.i6automotive.co.uk/aluminiu ... all-v.html

I'm struggling to find the 95% formic acid that is used in manufacture and recommended for rebonding the PA66-GF30 (basically carbon fibre reiinforced nylon) that the casements are made from. The formic acid needs to be 95% strength to work as it basically melts the plastic together as bonding polyamides can be difficult apparently.

Just for clarity i'm no plastics expert this is just what i've gleaned from googling over the past few days :)

So I'm currently debating this polyamide compatible 2K epoxy from Araldite...

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/3888926/

It's not cheap but i dont want DISA valves falling apart in my intake manifold, because :-
a-I can't be arsed to take this apart again its been a ballache..
b-bits getting sucked into pistons = not good...

I'll report back and create a new DISA rebuild thread when i'm done in case it helps others in the future.

Cheers,

Dean

P.S. And why the f*** BMW didn't make these servicable with screws in the casements is utter utter b******* and IMHO purely down to parts marketing and a money grab. The E46 DISA has screws in it, and £250-300 for a piece of plastic with a motor in it is frankly taking the p***. I thought £650 for a water pump was bad enough but at least you can see the value in the lifetime/engineering/manufacture of them, now I've had these DISA valves open you can see they're basically wear/service items and should be priced accordingly. Rant over!

chewabledrapery

Post by chewabledrapery » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:57 pm

Currently making a DISA repair video but waiting on parts as the i6automotive kit i received was out of spec and they're re-maching a batch for early November.

What I would say though is the i6 kit is great (i've already fixed the small DISA) and service has been great, so watch this space.

I'll create a new thread when i'm ready with the video.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:36 pm

Good man, will be a good resource for the forum :thumbsup:

chewabledrapery

Post by chewabledrapery » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:55 am

As long as people don't fall asleep I've realised how utterly boring i sound on video ha ha ;)

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:37 am

chewabledrapery wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:55 am As long as people don't fall asleep I've realised how utterly boring i sound on video ha ha ;)
Everyone hates their own voice on video!