Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help!! Suspected starter motor

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JamboZ4

Post by JamboZ4 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 am

Hey guys just jumped into the car to drop the mrs off to work and turned the key... Nothing not a single tick the battery is fine. The car did struggle a little to start yesterday but i just put that down to the age of the car. As i have only had the car 3days!!! does my 28day warranty from the dealer cover this ???

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:21 am

JamboZ4 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 am Hey guys just jumped into the car to drop the mrs off to work and turned the key... Nothing not a single tick the battery is fine. The car did struggle a little to start yesterday but i just put that down to the age of the car. As i have only had the car 3days!!! does my 28day warranty from the dealer cover this ???
What makes you say the battery is fine, what tests have you carried out on it?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

wonkydonkey

Post by wonkydonkey » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:08 am

Have you checked that the battery terminals are properly tightened? If you bought it from a car dealer it's highly likely that they will have touched the battery while the car has been in their care. Someone may have failed to tighten the connections at the battery.

Edit: I should also ask if you've checked the cables are tightly fastened to the starter motor too.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by RustyZ4 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:31 am

Sounds like the starter motor, but it doesn’t matter if it’s that or battery if it’s under warranty, take it back and ask them to fix it
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

JamboZ4

Post by JamboZ4 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Update from today had my mechanic friend up to look at the car and agreed that the starter is gone. Managed to bump the car and got it running, took it for a good run but when i got home parked up turned off the ignition and when i turned the key again nothing... So it definetly is the starter. I phoned the dealer and they are going to install a new one under warranty on friday when i finish work. Thanks again for all your suggestions and hopefully this is the last thing this car needs for a while :cry: