Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 roof micro switch problem?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
bbrys

Post by bbrys » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 am

Hi, apologies if this is somewhere on the forum but I just cannot find anything that would help me to resolve my problem with the roof.

One day I tried to open my roof but when I pressed the button nothing happened, even the latches haven't unlocked themselve, I could only see solid orange light next to the button.

I have open the boot and the shelf was lowered. I put it manually up and down and tried again to open the roof. It didn't help. I have disconnected the battery for 20 minutes and it didn't help as well.

Do you know what I have to do to fix the problem? I assume it is something wrong with the microswitch in the boot but how to fix it? Can you see anything wrong with it on the picture below?

Thanks

https://ibb.co/JQWbg3t

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:21 am

From the pic it looks fine. The small tab towards the bottom left is the trigger for that switch. Perhaps get someone to manually depress the tab while you press the button inside. Failing that, perhaps remove the switch and check it's connected and not broken behind the cover.

It's a five minute job to remove the cover and check :thumbsup:

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:23 am

There are also fuses allocated to the roof, 3 IIRC, might be worth checking them.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 am

This won't be a microswitch problem, as that gives you a flashing red button iirc. Do you know if you have any aftermarket roof modules installed such as a Gaptech RCH+? If you are not sure, have a look beneath the ashtray, that's where they are normally wired.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

bbrys

Post by bbrys » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 am

Thanks, I will check the fuse today.
When the roof is closed, should my tray in the boot be in up or down position? Should I move it up manually and leave it there?

I'm almost sure I don't have any third party module fitted but I will check.

Lance, you mean somebody should press that little metal "hook" on the left side of the switch and other person try to open the roof?

Lance

Post by Lance » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm

The tray needs to be down for the roof to work.

Yes, just press inwards, the switch should disappear. At the same time press the button to open the roof.

If that switch has failed then nothing will happen when you press the open roof button. No unlatch or window drop.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:29 pm

Lance wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm If that switch has failed then nothing will happen when you press the open roof button. No unlatch or window drop.
...but you should get a flashing red light on the button
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:15 pm

ph001 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 am This won't be a microswitch problem, as that gives you a flashing red button iirc. Do you know if you have any aftermarket roof modules installed such as a Gaptech RCH+? If you are not sure, have a look beneath the ashtray, that's where they are normally wired.
The OP said he gets an ORANGE light which does indicate the shelf switch isn't happy. A Red light indicated that the roof is mid cycle or has is in a state of incomplete operation.

As someone has said, get someone to hold the little metal lever in the boot under the shelf to the left whilst you push the Down button. Failing that working, you can look behind the carpet below the switch and you will find two blue wires leading to it. Strip a tiny bit of the sheath bare on each wire and short them together, then try the down button again

If that works, you know you have a faulty shelf sensor switch.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

bbrys

Post by bbrys » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am

Thanks guys, I have checked and roof works when somebody is pressing the microswith.
I will buy a new one and replace it.
Last question: when everything works fine, I understand that the shelf in the boot is up when the roof is closed, then when we push the button, shelf goes down touching the microswitch and then roof opens?
I'm just wondering what triggers the microswitch, is it the button or is it the shelf in the boot?

oldgitdave

Post by oldgitdave » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 am

bbrys wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am Last question: when everything works fine, I understand that the shelf in the boot is up when the roof is closed, then when we push the button, shelf goes down touching the microswitch and then roof opens?
I'm just wondering what triggers the microswitch, is it the button or is it the shelf in the boot?
The shelf in the boot is purely a manual operation. Leave it down & the roof will work normally (once you've replaced the switch, hopefully). If you need more space in the boot turn the 2 knobs either side of the shelf to raise it. The switch will then stop the roof opening.
Zedless :(

bbrys

Post by bbrys » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:39 am

So there is some part of the shelf that keep the little hook of microswitch pushed to the left?
If yes, it would mean that my microswitch is ok but the shelf (when in low position) does not push the hook in the microswitch which prevents the roof from opening.

Lance

Post by Lance » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Yes, when lowered, the shelf should trigger the switch for roof opening. I've just been out and had a look, appears to be a tab on the rear of the shelf that runs down the channel and triggers the microswitch, is your shelf located in the channel?

I'm pretty sure that most people leave the shelf in the lower position on an almost permanent basis.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:56 pm

Yep. Shelf should be in the lower( down) position by default and just raise it for the odd occasion that you need extra boot space.

It doesn't sound like a switch issue if it works when just pressed in manually. Just leave the shelf down, as the norm.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)