Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Newbie to Z4, boggy and surging acceleration

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
andyf1140

Post by andyf1140 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:11 pm

I had the same thing, used a cheep ebay special and it was great for a while but it's starting to have the classic rough idle

Naylz

Post by Naylz » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:53 pm

Well, fast running out of patience with the dealer, took it in Wednesday, gave them a print out of the fault codes, told them I thought maybe valvetronic motor. Today he tells me he still doesn’t know what’s wrong with it, he has ordered a new valvetronic....I asked did he mean the motor....er yeah but to be honest if that doesn’t fix it then he feels he is out of his depth!!!

Great, not sure what to do now, had it less than two weeks, love the car but I’m now worried it isn’t going to be sorted right

tug

Post by tug » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:32 pm

GET OUT OF THERE FAST AND DONT PASS A PENNY OVER. He obviously knows very little :o He doesn't know BMW and to fit a valvatronic you need a certain amount of knowledge. The engine 'fits it' by the mechanic knowing where to place the motor and using ignition control. Damage can be caused if not fitted professionally.

Hope my advice helps buddy.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

Naylz

Post by Naylz » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 pm

Well today I finally got my Z4 back and touch wood it all seems to be fixed. It has been nearly three weeks since handing it back with the issues it had, very long story short they tried cleaning various sensors, that fix it, they ordered a new valvetronic motor, this took a week to come and then was the wrong part, so they ordered the correct one after I gave them the part number, this took another week to arrive, they then fitted it and the car wouldn’t start (yes they did program it first) turns out the new part had been damaged in transit and was bent....I was then told that they are rarer than rocking horse poo and even BMW has a wait if one month to get one....so I rang BMW and they got one the following morning. This then got fitted all seemed hunky dorey they delivered it back to me, I drove it and the surge was gone, parked it on my drive and checked for fault codes of which there were quite a few, valvetronic adjustments, some plausibility ones and others I can’t remember, the delivery guy/ mechanic was still with me so we cleared the codes and surprise surprise it then wouldn’t start. So off it went back to the garage, I said that I thought it was the eccentric shaft sensor as that was common to all the codes bearing in mind the motor is a genuine BMW brand spanker. The following day the garage said they had taken it to BMW and had been advised to check the eccentric shaft sensor for oil, This turned out to be the culprit, so a shiny new sensor from BMW now fitted and all seems good, no surging on acceleration, no bogging down and a rock solid steady idle. So in summary I believe both parts were at fault, costly parts too, luckily I didn’t have to pay a penny 😁

andyf1140

Post by andyf1140 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:22 pm

Very lucky and a great outcome :D

Naylz

Post by Naylz » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:18 pm

Was feeling very unlucky for weeks, almost gave up on the Z4 completely

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:48 am

Oil contamination on the eccentric shaft sensor should have been the first thing they checked rather than the last. It was mentioned quite early on. Good to hear you are back in the road though.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Hebbs

Post by Hebbs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:50 pm

tug wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 am Deffo needs a new valvatronic, mine did exactly the same. Got a new one fitted been perfect ever since.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
Told I need mine replacing by my mechanic and said to see if I can locate one cheaper than he could get. Any links to where to get one would be appreciated.