Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Parking brake issue

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Fat Yucca

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Fat Yucca » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:49 am

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing an issue with the parking brake on my 2003 3.0 manual, I hope some one may be able shed some light on. I have had a good search through the forum, but not found anything, so I apologise if this has been covered before.

The sequence of events are: I stop the car on a slope (facing down hill for instance) using the foot brake, apply the hand brake, put it in to neutral, release the foot brake and it is at this point where the car rolls forward slightly and the rear squats. Caused by the shift in load from the front brake to the rear brake.

Facing up hill I have a similar issue but the rear raises slightly.

I have checked the trailing arm bushes, and hoped a recent inspection would reveal something loose or worn but nothing, it has even passed the MOT like this. I have never had any other car that does this, is this a normal characteristic for the Z4, or is something worn/loose/broken or just need adjusting?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Smartbear » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:54 am

That’s normal as the rear suspension takes the load the rear wheels impart on it from having the handbrake on.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Fat Yucca

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Fat Yucca » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 am

Ok, I hoped that was the case.
Cheers Rob.

wonkydonkey

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by wonkydonkey » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:08 am

I drove a BMW for the first time a couple of years ago (a 3 series) and thought there was a major defect with its handbrake the first time I used it. I was on a slight incline, applied the handbrake, took my foot off the brakes and it rolled back far enough to hit the wall behind me. It did the same thing at the next stop I made, though this time I had left enough room.

I got home and Googled it and the flood of search results quickly taught me that this is expected of a BMW. I bought my Z4 last summer and, sure enough, it's the same. It seems to depend what position of rotation the wheel is in. Sometimes the handbrake lever comes up higher than other times, and sometimes the car will roll back/forward perhaps 2-4". I fitted new discs at the back and removed/replaced them three times in the same day, as well as adjusting the handbrake over and over. I read about one guy with a brand new 3 series who had the same issue. He took it back over and over for BMW to check it and adjust it several times but they couldn't get it to behave. It seems BMW just can't make a good handbrake, unfortunately! General BMW owner concensus seems to be that you must always leave the car in gear. Personally I haven't had this paranoia with any other car I've owned.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Marlon
Lifer
Lifer

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Marlon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:52 am

Thanks for the question OP (and the answers Rob & wonkyd :wink: ) this reassures me that I'm not alone in questioning my parking skills - I thought it was just the old handbrake ratchet on the way out but now its replaced with a new one I did question what the hell was going on the other day parking on a slight incline!
Gone: 3.0si 2008 E85
911 997 Carrera S

Migizi

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Migizi » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:20 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:08 am ...General BMW owner concensus seems to be that you must always leave the car in gear...
Interesting discussion - I was taught from day 1 to always leave the car in gear (Reverse if facing uphill, or forward great if parking on flat surface or facing downhill) with the e-brake every time I parked.
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

philbo909

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by philbo909 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:59 pm

Parking on an incline I always leave her in gear, belt and braces.
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

wonkydonkey

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by wonkydonkey » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Migizi wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:20 pm
wonkydonkey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:08 am ...General BMW owner concensus seems to be that you must always leave the car in gear...
Interesting discussion - I was taught from day 1 to always leave the car in gear (Reverse if facing uphill, or forward great if parking on flat surface or facing downhill) with the e-brake every time I parked.
I know that this gets taught, and leaving a car in first gear isn't a bad idea (just not one I subscribe to, on a typical incline). However, reverse gear is typically a longer ratio than first gear, meaning that leaving the car in reverse will increase the chances of the car rolling away if the handbrake fails!
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

NickDE

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by NickDE » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:49 pm

I just put mine in P and walk away. I have no clue what that lever between the seats is for :P
Darkness gone, go Darknes2, go Frozen, go Tronic

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Smartbear » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:55 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:09 pm
Migizi wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:20 pm
I know that this gets taught, and leaving a car in first gear isn't a bad idea (just not one I subscribe to, on a typical incline). However, reverse gear is typically a longer ratio than first gear, meaning that leaving the car in reverse will increase the chances of the car rolling away if the handbrake fails!
If a car of mine rolled away whilst in gear (reverse or forwards gears) I’d be getting a compression test carried out after recovering the wreckage! :oops:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Silverzedtom

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Mines the same - sounds like they all are. When I changed my rear disks and re tightened the handbrake I was expecting it to improve, it didn’t so when I took it to bmw for its mot I asked them to check it and as the others have said it’s totaly normal. It isn’t exactly confidence inspiring though :lol: I tend to leave the handbrake half on and in gear, the only reason I leave it slightly on is incase it rolls away when I’m not there and someone notices the handbrakes down
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Grumpyowl » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 pm

As above , I would never trust any handbrake in isolation, always leave in first gear even on the flat .
I remember some years ago Citroen advising this on certain models where the handbrake worked on discs when the discs cooled (contracted) the car would roll away.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:37 pm

Yes, it seems to be a standard feature on BMWs!

Both my E46s did it, as did my E87, my current E91 and both of my E86s! But to be fair it does seem more pronounced in some than others.

Maybe it's partly because the footbrake stops the car using the discs, but the handbrake uses it's own drum brakes at the rear. I've had cars that used the discs for the handbrake and none of them had that trait.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Jakg

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Jakg » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:29 pm

BMW handbrakes are rubbish, but with careful adjustment you can get something passable.

Unless your adjusters are seized, like mine...

Migizi

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Migizi » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:53 pm

wonkydonkey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:09 pm ..., reverse gear is typically a longer ratio than first gear, meaning that leaving the car in reverse will increase the chances of the car rolling away if the handbrake fails!
I do not understand, but I am interested in learning more - (despite what my wife says :D )
- please elaborate
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si