Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E85 Parking brake issue

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
wonkydonkey

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by wonkydonkey » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:02 pm

Migizi wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:53 pm
wonkydonkey wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:09 pm ..., reverse gear is typically a longer ratio than first gear, meaning that leaving the car in reverse will increase the chances of the car rolling away if the handbrake fails!
I do not understand, but I am interested in learning more - (despite what my wife says :D )
- please elaborate
To give an extreme example; park your car on a flat road and leave the handbrake off, with the engine switched off. Select first gear, and then get out and try to push the car. You probably won't be able to make it move. Now select sixth gear and try to push it, and you will be able to move the car. This is because sixth gear is a longer gear than first, meaning that for each revolution of the engine, the wheels turn further than they do in first gear. So to stop your car rolling away, the most effective way is to select the gear with the shortest ratio (i.e. first gear). Since reverse gear is normally a longer gear than first gear (that is to say that your car will travel faster in reverse gear than it will travel in first gear), reverse is technically going to offer less resistance to your car rolling away.
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Migizi

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Migizi » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:47 pm

I did not know that (nor had I ever thought of it that way)
thanks for the explanation :thumbsup:
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

wonkydonkey

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by wonkydonkey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:39 am

Migizi no probs!
Previous:
~2006 Z4MR in Silver Grey
~2003 3.0i E85 in Sterling Grey

Click here for the Sticky Steering thread
<My name is James>

Bing
Legend
Legend

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Bing » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:23 am

I thought it was first facing uphill or flat, and reverse facing downlhill ?
Current... Silver Grey ///M Roadster, non-flimper spec, Imola Red nappa, permanent ear-to-ear grin 8)

Previous... 3.0Si Sport Roadster, Black Sapphire, Dream Red leather with lots of toys and lots of mods...

road warrior

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by road warrior » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:47 am

I'm happy now!
My problem ridden Steve has a perfect handbrake! ,
The back-end raising is normal, old folk will remember the likes of the aleggro which would raise 6"" in the air
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Fat Yucca

E85 Parking brake issue

Post by Fat Yucca » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:26 am

Thanks everyone for your input.
It holds ok, just never had a car that does that before. I’ve come back to a couple of other cars before that had gently come to rest against somebody else’s bumper, but as my drive way is said slope, getting up in the morning to find it pressed up against my outward opening front door could be a little inconvenient!