Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DSC/ABS sensor or ABS pump?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
babo456

Post by babo456 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi folks,

I recently had my rear TC rings and sensors done after having my TC/DSC/ABS warning lights on the dash.

All was well for a few days but now I am getting the warning lights pop up intermittently again.

Went back to the garage and the code rear is now suggesting the front sensors are at fault.

Is there anyway to tell if this is indeed the front needing done also OR is this suggesting the actual ABS pump could be at fault?

I'm cautious of spending another couple hundred quid on new front sensors, the issue still persisting, then end up needing a refurbed pump.

Thanks in advance.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:38 pm

What lights exactly (ABS sensors normally bring on tyre pressure warning also) and what colour are they. Got a pic?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

babo456

Post by babo456 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:59 pm

20190306_170928.jpg
20190306_170928.jpg (154.14 KiB) Viewed 1229 times

babo456

Post by babo456 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:02 pm

I have the car booked in for Monday to get the front sensors done. The mechanic said the diagnostic would specifically state an ABS pump.

Weirdly he actually had a coupe in needing a pump when I was last in...

Gazza51

Post by Gazza51 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:09 pm

Get yourself a C110+ code reader (about £45), you can do ‘live’ checks to see which sensor is faulty
Current - Z4 MC, M3 CSL, S54 Z3MR, Z1.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:14 pm

Or get inpa.
Without the codes its impossible to say something useful about this an with codes its dead easy.
My gut feeling is that if you had rings and sensors installed and you have codes again, they' re either related or the work done was obsolete.
All these things have different codes and are easy to diagnose for someone who is capable.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

drummachine

Post by drummachine » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:46 pm

That’s strange. Not to steal your thunder but I was about to post the same questions.

I had the same warning lights on intermittently in the //M. Advised a fault stored within the pump. I had the exact same thing 2 years ago on the Z3M! Great!

babo456

Post by babo456 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:01 am

My mechanic who's a friends uncle doesn't charge me for diagnostics - the computer said front traction control sensor, so I don't think the mentioned code reader etc would be of use to me - unless these offer something more specific?

I'm asking the question because it did state rear sensor fault a few weeks ago, got fixed, all ok for a few days then the lights came on again, put back on the computer and is now saying front traction control sensor.

I just found it a bit odd that the abs now wants a front sensor too.

I do wonder if changing the sensors/rings means it puts the older ones out of kilter and throws an error? I think only the rear have the rings though - so perhaps that thought is null and void.

Lights are all out again!....

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:28 am

Give the abs pump a tap with a wooden mallet and see if they go out.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 am

babo456 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:01 am My mechanic who's a friends uncle doesn't charge me for diagnostics - the computer said front traction control sensor, so I don't think the mentioned code reader etc would be of use to me - unless these offer something more specific?
Lol you didnt mention front traction control sensor.
In your TS you only mentioned "front sensors"
Thats something different. What sensor specifically do you think is at fault? (because I think we're now talking about completely different parts!)
And thats why those codes are so important. If you post the code I can probably immediately say whats at fault, and what should be done.
2nd hand info from a user who heard something something from a guy never works. Its all about the hard facts.

Let me put it this way: there are sensor rings. There are sensors on sensor rings. But there are also pressure control senors on the brake system. With INPA codes: dead easy. Without INPA codes: impossible to diagnose, and maybe even your mechanic doing the wrong work what you are paying for.
BTW INPA also specifically tells you what sensor it is, and you can diagnose each part that has input in the computer. Your mechanic should know this.
With the sentence "front traction control sensor" I immediately think which one? left? right?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Bageera

Post by Bageera » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:23 am

Hi I'm new but I also have the same problem, actually had it for the past two years. I own a 2007 E85 2.0L. The ABS, TC & DSC occasionally light up or disappear while driving. I hear a ping and they either come on or go off. Whenever I take the car for a service they are never on...two weeks later for example, ping and on they come. No idea what causes it, had it code read and reset, yet made no difference. Help please, are you serious about the wooden mallet?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:06 pm

Those 3 lights in yellow are almost always ABS pump or steering angle sensor. The brushes on the pump motor stick which is why tapping with a mallet often frees them temporarily. It's not a cure of course - just helps diagnose in the absence of codes.

drummachine

Post by drummachine » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:21 pm

What historically is the best fix if it appears to be the pump itself? Without replacing new at £££s of course!

MJJamieson

Post by MJJamieson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:19 pm

I had the same 3 lights, plugged in a C110 and got live data from the pressure sensors and could see one drifting about, replaced with a good used for £10 and had no issues since.
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:28 pm

drummachine wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:21 pm What historically is the best fix if it appears to be the pump itself? Without replacing new at £££s of course!
I understand you can get them refurbed by a firm called ECU Testing. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black