Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil filter/Heat Exchanger cooling hose gaskets - thoughts?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Migizi

Post by Migizi » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:15 pm

Replacing the Oil Filter (and heat exchanger) Housing gaskets.
In the process, I have encountered two issues...

Issue #1
The plastic flange for the Thermostat to Engine Block Coolant hose broke while removing...common issue I know.
I ordered a metal hose flange replacement - problem solved?
Broken Flange.jpg
Broken Flange.jpg (347 KiB) Viewed 256 times
Metal Flange.jpg
Metal Flange.jpg (60.38 KiB) Viewed 256 times
Issue #2
I have a plastic piece that appear to go between the Oil Filter Housing and the Water Hose 17127537717 that routes back to the radiator. This piece is plastic and not an o-ring, am I missing something?
plastic flange ring.jpg
plastic flange ring.jpg (394.92 KiB) Viewed 256 times
I cannot find this part or an associated o-ring on Real OEM for this hose to housing connection, Can someone tell me the part numbers or help clarify?

Not sure where the large o-ring came from - it does not appear to fit on this flange - wonder if it came from radiator cap? (that's what happens when 'help' wanders into the shop and starts picking things up) :headbang:
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Migizi

Post by Migizi » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:41 pm

I figured it out....

the plastic ring and o-ring shown on the last image came from inside the upper radiator hose - the plastic ring broke (but retained perfect symmetry) when the hose was removed from the oil filter housing and that was holding the o-ring in place inside the radiator hose.

Guess I'll be buying this hose next. 8)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si