Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Problem removing rear body panels E85

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mare2014

Post by Mare2014 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Most panels of my 2006 Z4M roadster are about to be re-painted (scratches etc. after 12 years and 220K km) I have however difficulties removing the rear back panels and the horizontal panel behind the soft top - see yellow arrows indicating the panels in the picture.
Z4 rear.JPG
Z4 rear.JPG (135.3 KiB) Viewed 438 times

Any advice and/or experience in this matter is much appreciated !

MJJamieson

Post by MJJamieson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:47 pm

To get the rear wing off. With the roof in that position remove the bolts from the perimeter of the roof from inside the boot then pull the rubber trim away from outside. push your hand under and you will feel the elusive bolt that goes in the top of the wing. the rest are all evident then lift away. not sure about top trim piece.
2004 E85 Z4 2.5i SE Sterling Grey.

parabolica

Post by parabolica » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:05 pm

Yeah as MJJ says, for the rear wing you need to lie on your back in the boot, remove the 6-7 bolts that hold the aluminum frame in place, and shoogle it towards the driver's side of the car in order to reveal that final bolt. If memory serves me correctly I think you undo the bolt from inside the boot? But I might be mistaken with that; makes more sense that by loosening the roof frame, the outer part of the roof moves away from the pinch point on the wing.

I think it might be a similar thing on central piece; look for any fastenings on the roof of the boot.