Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Bonnet won't close?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
joop

Bonnet won't close?

Post by joop » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:28 pm

This afternoon i wanted to check my oil level (2005 z4) and popped the bonnet, bonnet didn't pop open so i pulled a little harder on the lever inside the car.

After checking the oil i wanted to close the bonnet. I can push the bonnet down but it won't stay down, it doesn't lock in place.

I sprayed the mechanism with wd-40, but not luck there.

I found this image online:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/images/diag_2dfb.png

Number 9 locks into number 14, so you cannot pull the bonnet open without pushing 9. In this state the bonnet is still a little bit open, you can reach 9 with your fingers.

After that you usually push the bonnet down and it locks in place. This doesn't seem to work. Anyone know what might be the cause of this?

Thanks i appreciate the help :thumbsup:

thecremeegg

Bonnet won't close?

Post by thecremeegg » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:36 pm

Has it got gunked up with grease? The catches are notoriously crap on these
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

Silverzedtom

Bonnet won't close?

Post by Silverzedtom » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 pm

Mine needed a good degrease, scrub and re grease when I got it. Two and a half years later it’s still spot on. Hopefully that’s all it is :)
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

joop

Bonnet won't close?

Post by joop » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:20 am

Cheers guys!
It indeed is quite gunked up, but everything seem to be moving.

I removed the two front grills to get a better look, i can see the back of the bonnet look, it looks similar to:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/gx4AAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

Also found a picture of the front:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/m5gAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

Does anybody know where the cable is connected to the bonnet lock?

I was wondering cause i might give the section of the bonnet lock a little push or pull to get the lock working again. But i'm just wondering what i should push or pull.

thecremeegg

Bonnet won't close?

Post by thecremeegg » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Usually push down hard on the bonnet above the catch fixes it when it's stuck shut. Mine wouldn't close the other day so I sprayed it with degreaser and pushed hard down on the bonnet above it and it clicked shut.
Z4M - Interlagos Blue with Black Leather
Z4 3.0i - Sapphire Black with Red Leather - FOR SALE!

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Bonnet won't close?

Post by ben g » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:40 pm

I had issues with my bonnet not locking down correctly. I would initially lock, but when I drove to work, at 70mph, it used to pop up a little. It was quite daunting at the time! It would never release completely though.

I ended up replacing the cable. If I remember correctly, it's a 2 part cable, though can't be 100% sure as it was a few years back now. It was a bit of a fiddly job, but easily doable as a DIY. It now works perfectly.

I also keep the latch greased and periodically clean it and regrease, just to make sure it doesn't become stuck or gunked up with debris.

Edit: just to add, don't pull that latch inside the car too hard, as you'll knacker the cable (as in my case). Mine ended up not functioning at all, hence the need for a new bonnet cable. I assume I stretched the original by pulling on the bonnet latch inside the car too vigorously.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Lance

Bonnet won't close?

Post by Lance » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:44 pm

My car is a 53 plate and it definitely has a two part cable. There's a junction box where they link up, behind the drivers headlight and in front of the washer bottle, it's clearly visible and accessible with the bonnet up.

If the junction box comes away from the bodywork/chassis (mine did),then the cable operation won't work properly.

It's very obvious once you look.