Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wet Boot

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Smelf36

Wet Boot

Post by Smelf36 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 pm

So I noticed a nasty damp smell in my car yesterday, you know that old gym towel been left in your school bag for a week kind of smell :sick: and couldn't work out why until I looked in the boot. The inside of the boot lid had condensation and the carpet in the little well on the near side behind the wheel arch was sodden!
I did a bit of research and decided it must be coming from the positive pressure vent behind the carpet (the previous owner had also taped it up, and so this seemed the obvious culprit), went to BMW and ordered a new one (cheaper than eBay I might add, :thumbsup: for the main dealer). However on closer inspection during a big downpour I noticed a dribble of water coming down the inside of the nearside wall from behind some electrical whatsit (technical term) bolted to the back of the wheel arch. I removed this and found a rubber bung bout the size of a 50 pence with water dribbling out! I removed this and a gush of water came out :o sticking my finger in the hole, the area inside the wing was full of water!!?
I have soaked up as much as I can and silicone'd the bung back in place to seal it - but my question is this, how the feck did the water get there and how do I get rid of it/stop it filling up again? the drain holes all seem clear, roof works OK, roof seals seem fine?
The water only appeared when I parked the car on my sloping drive with the car pointing uphill ( don't need the obvious advice of park it the other way then either lol)
Any ideas??
Cheers All
Then 2008 E85 2.0i Sport roadster.
Now 2012 E89 2.0i M Sport
Live every day like it's your last, cos one-day you'll be right πŸ˜‰

Beatman

Wet Boot

Post by Beatman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:41 pm

Smelf36 wrote: ↑Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 pm So I noticed a nasty damp smell in my car yesterday, you know that old gym towel been left in your school bag for a week kind of smell :sick: and couldn't work out why until I looked in the boot. The inside of the boot lid had condensation and the carpet in the little well on the near side behind the wheel arch was sodden!
I did a bit of research and decided it must be coming from the positive pressure vent behind the carpet (the previous owner had also taped it up, and so this seemed the obvious culprit), went to BMW and ordered a new one (cheaper than eBay I might add, :thumbsup: for the main dealer). However on closer inspection during a big downpour I noticed a dribble of water coming down the inside of the nearside wall from behind some electrical whatsit (technical term) bolted to the back of the wheel arch. I removed this and found a rubber bung bout the size of a 50 pence with water dribbling out! I removed this and a gush of water came out :o sticking my finger in the hole, the area inside the wing was full of water!!?
I have soaked up as much as I can and silicone'd the bung back in place to seal it - but my question is this, how the feck did the water get there and how do I get rid of it/stop it filling up again? the drain holes all seem clear, roof works OK, roof seals seem fine?
The water only appeared when I parked the car on my sloping drive with the car pointing uphill ( don't need the obvious advice of park it the other way then either lol)
Any ideas??
Cheers All
if anyone does have an answer to the post I would be interested. As I'm suffering with the same issue :thumbsup:
My Car- 2004 3.0se sterling grey, mv3s , satnav, heated seats, ZHP.

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Wet Boot

Post by MACK » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:48 am

I had this with a blocked drain recently. Same scenario slightly inclined front higher than rear. I cleaned the drains out and have started reversing on my drive instead of off and it's been fine for a good few months now. The drainpoint is at the front of the channel so it does make sense that parking front uphill can give issues
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

road warrior

Wet Boot

Post by road warrior » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:42 am

so are you saying the wings were full with water ?? :o
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Trav

Wet Boot

Post by Trav » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:01 am

I am also unsure, but really interested. Is this in the rear side panels? I would like to know if this is another drain/bung we need to be checking. Please can you give some more info of what direction the water gets in if possible. Is it water getting in to the wrong place through a bad or broken lower roof seal. I thought all the water was supposed to get directed in the bucket that ruins the roof motor?
Z4MR A.W.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Wet Boot

Post by ben g » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 am

I've had the same wet boot issue for years. Never can seem to get to the bottom of it. Both my rear side compartments get wet now :headbang:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

Smelf36

Wet Boot

Post by Smelf36 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:14 pm

So the only way I think the water got into the rear wing was when I cleaned the hood. I partly opened it to get to the section of good normally hidden under the body panel around the bottom edge. I was careful to rinse this gently, but I guess this let the water pass the drain chanel ????
Anyway, after copious amounts of silicone around the bung and along the weld seem It appears to have worked. Had some flippin heavy rain of late and all is dry.....fingers crossed.

Smelf36

Wet Boot

Post by Smelf36 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:29 pm

ben g wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 am I've had the same wet boot issue for years. Never can seem to get to the bottom of it. Both my rear side compartments get wet now :headbang:
have you checked around the negatives pressure vents behind the carpet in the little wells, these are apparently common water leak points, don’t get em off eBay if it is, they are only 6 or 7 quid from main dealer, eBay sellers are asking Β£15!!!

Z4 Gaz

Wet Boot

Post by Z4 Gaz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Parking nose uphill seems to be a common problem for leaks.
Last year mine got soaked in the boot while in Bavaria when it poured down all day. Found some forum posts saying to turn the car round. Did this and the leaking stopped.
Now if I ever park in the rain, which is unlikely as it is a dry day and garaged car, I will just make sure it is always boot uphill
E85 3.0i

Beatman

Wet Boot

Post by Beatman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:59 pm

road warrior wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:42 am so are you saying the wings were full with water ?? :o
as mentioned in Smelfs post. Behind the electrical gismo on the left side of the boot. There is a rubber gromit. If you remove this water comes out. And looks to be between the inner / outer wings :cry:

It does it with the roof up. And I don't think the idea of sealing the gromit seems to be the best idea. As water seems to be between the panels.

road warrior

Wet Boot

Post by road warrior » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 pm

Beatman wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:59 pm
road warrior wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:42 am so are you saying the wings were full with water ?? :o
as mentioned in Smelfs post. Behind the electrical gismo on the left side of the boot. There is a rubber gromit. If you remove this water comes out. And looks to be between the inner / outer wings :cry:

It does it with the roof up. And I don't think the idea of sealing the gromit seems to be the best idea. As water seems to be between the panels.
dont suppose you have a pic showing where do you ?
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Wet Boot

Post by ben g » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Smelf36 wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:29 pm
ben g wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 am I've had the same wet boot issue for years. Never can seem to get to the bottom of it. Both my rear side compartments get wet now :headbang:
have you checked around the negatives pressure vents behind the carpet in the little wells, these are apparently common water leak points, don’t get em off eBay if it is, they are only 6 or 7 quid from main dealer, eBay sellers are asking Β£15!!!
Do you mean the vents that sit behind the rear bumper? If so, I replaced those a few years ago hoping it would fix the leaking issue. No luck though :cry:

I really need to get inside the boot and let someone drench the car with a hose pipe, but that would require a massive amount of contortion :lol:
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

tug

Wet Boot

Post by tug » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:06 am

I wonder if your drain holes are blocked! The one that causes the roof motor problem. If it is, then eventually it will fill up and spill out into the interior causing this problem.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE

Beatman

Wet Boot

Post by Beatman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:30 pm

tug wrote: ↑Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:06 am I wonder if your drain holes are blocked! The one that causes the roof motor problem. If it is, then eventually it will fill up and spill out into the interior causing this problem.

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
no roof drains are clear, as I have already moved the roof motor. So can be seen from the top.
And if you pour water in, flow straight out the bottom drain
Last edited by Beatman on Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beatman

Wet Boot

Post by Beatman » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:44 pm

road warrior wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 pm
Beatman wrote: ↑Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:59 pm

dont suppose you have a pic showing where do you ?
The photo is of the hole with the gromit and the electronic box in front removed. When the gromit was in plac if you pressed it water would leak in. Once removed any water behind came in to the boot.
I have try to remove as much water as I can, but you can still feel some water in the section behind, if not much.
The screw you can see, I believe is one of the outer wing bolts.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (520.13 KiB) Viewed 783 times