Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Navigation Screen Functioning Properly Only Sometimes

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
WATERLINE

Post by WATERLINE » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:10 am

The Navigation screen (Professional, I believe) displayed the menu screen on the drive home after purchasing my 2005 BMW Z4 two weeks ago. I had started the Z4 a number of times before purchase and the screen seemed to display the menu every time even though I did not play with the unit to understand how to switch from FM radio to Navigation etc. The screen was doing its odd flipping and the internal motor seemed to be trying to either open or close the flip screen. Something was broken since I saw small pieces of plastic belonging to the screen cover.

I decided to remove the vent, radio/CD player (CID Control, CD or MD?) and (flipping!!!) screen. There are great instructions on this website and YouTube. My screen cover clips and the motor gear mechanism were obviously broken. I decided to epoxy glue the cover and removed a gear from the motor to prevent from doing further damage when trying to open and close the flip screen.

Reinstalled the screen and radio. Now no menu on the screen but the radio/CD player worked great. Over the past four days, I have turned on the ignition two dozen times but the menu screen has only shown up 5 or 6 times. Every time the menu shows up, I can use the system perfectly and switch between all four modes and operate the Navigation system perfectly. Even when the menu does not appear the screen glows differently when the ignition is on. The menu, when it appears, always stays on and does not seem to quit until I turn off the ignition. Then if I turn on the ignition again, almost always, there is no menu. But the radio will always turn on and I can switch modes but only from memory since I have no screen.

Half way through this trial and error process, I decided to totally remove the motor and its wiring and sure enough I got the menu on the screen 25% of the time as usual. I have wiggled all the wiring connections on the screen and radio but I can't find something that would cause the screen menu to turn on or off. A couple of times the menu screen appeared while hitting some button on the radio.

I have searched this forum and others plus the internet for suggestions and clues. No luck.

My radio/CD player works great every time and the Navigation etc. functions fine every time I get a menu screen. Something seems loose or I have a much bigger problem. HELP!

WATERLINE

Post by WATERLINE » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:48 am

Does anyone have electrical diagrams of the electrical plug/socket of the flip screen and the radio/CD player CID control?

How would I know if I had the CD or the MD type CID control?

Is there any way to test my electrical circuits to the flip screen and radio/Cd player?

Thanks

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:57 am

Can’t help you wiring diagrams, but can advise that if the unit does not recognise the screen has opened then there is no display.

It’s a common problem to have issues with the stepper motor which results in the screen not rotating. When this happens rotating by hand does not make the screen come on.

WATERLINE

Post by WATERLINE » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:52 am

Okay, you might be on to something (I'm sure you are). You are saying that if the flip screen does not open by the motor then it will not turn on the menu on the screen.

Then could you please explain the functions of the left switch and then the right switch next to the flip screen. If I knew that then I believe I could understand the workings of the screen. I don't believe there was a switch in the gear mechanism that told the screen that it was open. It might work from the position of the half-moon gear, but mine is broken.

Since the screen menu came on (at least a couple of times) after I had removed the motor and wiring harness, how do you think the screen knew to turn on the menu?

Your help has already been invaluable. Thanks for answering my new questions.

WATERLINE

Post by WATERLINE » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Is there a sequence of button pressings that opens the screen to the menu?

I just might reinstall the motor and wiring harness but remove all the broken gears. The motor will spin with the touch of the upper right button but obviously not actually lift the screen.

Is the left button screen brightness up and down?

Thanks

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:18 pm

Without going out to my car, from memory left is open and close, right is to adjust the angle when open.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:27 pm

srhutch wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:18 pm Without going out to my car, from memory left is open and close, right is to adjust the angle when open.
I think it’s the other way around.
Z4MC - heavily fettled for track use
Lotus Exige - sensible daily driver on the mods slippery slope
Westfield SEiW - in hibernation
Modified RS4 Avant - back in Blighty
S2000 GT - gone

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:27 pm

3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:50 pm

BMWZ4MC wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:27 pm
srhutch wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:18 pm Without going out to my car, from memory left is open and close, right is to adjust the angle when open.
Probably, hardely ever touch them and not been in the car since end of October :oops:

WATERLINE

Post by WATERLINE » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:06 pm

A sincere thanks to mac27040. The newTIS.info contains a wealth of information.

I have started to read and digest the Central Information Display (CID) section.

"The LC display (flip screen) with the control unit is fitted in a case secured to an axle. The case on the axle can be swivelled by means of the electrical drive (motor) between 0 degrees and 108 degrees. The positions of the LC display are detected by Hall sensors on the transmission gearing. The case and drive are fitted in a recess (holding frame)."

Now all I need to figure out where the Hall sensor(s) are in the gear mechanism to simulate the display folded up, operation on and therefore menu showing on the screen. Note, my case is broken around the axle (when purchased). The screen was open when purchased and therefore menu appeared due to automatic positioning on startup. I screwed with the buttons after purchase and now I have no menu.

I hope I am getting somewhere!

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:37 pm

srhutch wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:50 pm
BMWZ4MC wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:27 pm
Probably, hardely ever touch them and not been in the car since end of October :oops:
I don’t have an Australian map disc, so I close mine fairly often now...
I couldn’t resist using mine on a sunny winter’s day, so kept it taxed all year round in the UK. I bet you can’t wait to get it back on the road in the spring.
S2000 GT - gone

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:45 pm

Indeed, am counting the days. Problem is I don’t use enough as it is. No point taking it out if you can’t have the roof down. Our local Z4 lot have promised we’ll make more effort this year as well.

Is fingers crossed for descent weather next month. Need to tax before April when it shoots up to £610 :o :x :cry:

99ron

Post by 99ron » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:57 pm

Does it. Daylight robbery. Deffo gonna re tax mine in March then. :thumbsup:
Z4MR E85 for sunny day Hooning. 8)
Now with added joy of Gruppe M.

BMWZ4MC
Lifer
Lifer

Post by BMWZ4MC » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 pm

That’s ridiculous!!! I’ve kept my RS4 in the UK but I might sell it since the price to run it has become astronomical :x
S2000 GT - gone