Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Oil level sensor?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Courageous

Oil level sensor?

Post by Courageous » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:01 pm

Anyone experienced an odd issue with the oil level indication like this?:

After start up the whirly wheel timer tells me to wait for the level. After a few minutes I get an indication "FULL" then some time later (like 40 miles or so) it drops to I suppose a "REAL" reading somewhat lower. Simple science tells me that if the oil warms up then the level would increase but the opposite seems to be happening. I suppose I have to replace the sensor OR is this a common behaviour?

Thanks in advance.

biojo

Oil level sensor?

Post by biojo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:12 pm

mine wont tell me untill the engines fully upto temp .

How long are you waiting before you try to test, when did you last have a oil change?

also thing of cars with dip sticks, u wouldnt check just after the engines been running as oil will be still in the head etc you wait for 10-15mins. BMWs system is opposite so car should have been running 15mins then check

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Oil level sensor?

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:30 pm

Mine won't work until I've done 4 or 5 miles, neither will my E91 (same N52 engine).
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Courageous

Oil level sensor?

Post by Courageous » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Yes that's not the problem, I wait until it gives me a reading. The problem is the difference between the two readings being illogical to my stupid head. Yes it's a few minutes, maybe 4 or 5 miles before I get anything. Why should it go from full to anything else like this?

Courageous

Oil level sensor?

Post by Courageous » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:00 pm

Thanks for coming in on this by the way.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Oil level sensor?

Post by Smartbear » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:02 pm

Courageous wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:59 pm Yes that's not the problem, I wait until it gives me a reading. The problem is the difference between the two readings being illogical to my stupid head. Yes it's a few minutes, maybe 4 or 5 miles before I get anything. Why should it go from full to anything else like this?
Hi, I think a few minutes isn’t long enough for the oil sensor to work correctly-my car takes a lot longer than that to give a reading.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Oil level sensor?

Post by ph001 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:17 pm

I don't think there is any logical reason why the level would be different depending on the temperature. You do get a fair bit of difference between a reading with the engine off (i.e. the traditional way with those lucky enough to have a dipstick) and it running. This is primarily down to about half a litre running around the engine itself when driven by the oil pump. In the case of the N52 for correct oil level measurement, the following conditions have to be met:

"Fig. 52: Checking Oil Level
Courtesy of BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, INC.

Dynamic oil level measurement begins when following values are reached:
• Engine temperature > 60°C
• Engine speed > 1000 RPM
• Transverse and longitudinal acceleration < 4-5 m/s2

The transverse acceleration signal is supplied by the DSC. The longitudinal acceleration is
calculated from the speed and time factors.

On reaching this value, the oil level indicator is updated approximately 5 minutes after starting
vehicle operation. The oil level is then continuously measured.

The indicator is updated at 20 minute intervals."
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Courageous

Oil level sensor?

Post by Courageous » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:49 pm

Thanks Ph001, that's useful stuff but not answering why I'm getting different readings after time. Still hoping someone else has experienced this or I may be looking at a new sensor. I did buy one but it was DOA so Mike at the ZedShed cleaned out the old one and got us to this point.