Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Power steering light / no power steering

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Gjm91

Post by Gjm91 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi all- Z had been left for a week without driving, been outside in mostly below freezing conditions- started her up today she started fine and moved her onto the road as i was going to fill her up with petrol then parked her and Moved my other car back onto the drive. Got back into the Z and started her up - the yellow power steering light came on and no power steering - drove round the block stopped and restarted -power steering light no longer on and power steering back working - drove to garage and then a 20 min blast and no further issues.
Anyone had anything similar ? Could it be related-to the temp etc? Any other ideas

Cheers
E89 2.0 i S Drive M Sport
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:09 pm

Mine came on after a flat battery and stayed on £££, you may be lucky.
If it does it again, check the battery and also remove a battery terminal for a few minutes to see if it re-sets.
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Gjm91

Post by Gjm91 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:14 pm

Cheers firebobby - did you need a new battery . Did that solve the power steering light issue?
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

greg81

Post by greg81 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:39 pm

Definitely sounds like a low charge to me

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:49 pm

No, just recharged the battery.
I did need the motor ECU rebuild (or what ever they do to them) which cost £300 to do. That's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new steering column and motor from BMW. :roll:
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

Gjm91

Post by Gjm91 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Cheers guys - going to the zed shed tommorrow for a new vac pump seal and new fogs to be fitted will ask him to check over the battery to see if that might be the issue - its a lion battery which seem to be at the cheaper end of the market - no idea how old it is either.
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

Ala5dair

Post by Ala5dair » Wed May 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Gjm91 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:52 pm Cheers guys - going to the zed shed tommorrow for a new vac pump seal and new fogs to be fitted will ask him to check over the battery to see if that might be the issue - its a lion battery which seem to be at the cheaper end of the market - no idea how old it is either.
Did you manage to resolve the issue?
I’m experiencing a similar issue with the coding being lost when my car is powered down. It’s not the battery, as I have a new Bosch S4 which is trickle charged and giving 13.1V. My car (3.0LSE) was re-coded, MOT’d and serviced yesterday, all perfect, but this morning, when started, the EPS light is on, Sport button does nothing, and I have no power steering.....
2004 3.0i SE in titanium silver with clear third brake and side lights. Black interior.
M-Sport suspension, 18” 107 mag ellipsoids, ZHP, xenons, cruise control and stubby

Gjm91

Post by Gjm91 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:32 am

Ala5dair wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:41 pm
Gjm91 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:52 pm Cheers guys - going to the zed shed tommorrow for a new vac pump seal and new fogs to be fitted will ask him to check over the battery to see if that might be the issue - its a lion battery which seem to be at the cheaper end of the market - no idea how old it is either.
I’m experiencing a similar issue with the coding being lost when my car is powered down. It’s not the battery, as I have a new Bosch S4 which is trickle charged and giving 13.1V. My car (3.0LSE) was re-coded, MOT’d and serviced yesterday, all perfect, but this morning, when started, the EPS light is on, Sport button does nothing, and I have no power steering.....
Hi sorry to hear of your issues - think mine were down to the battery being in a low state of charge as when it happened she hadn't been run for a week or so - got the battery checked and was low charge but otherwise fine. A few longer runs seemed to sort it -Still not sure if i need a new battery as the car had only been left about 10 days without being run - hope you manage to get your problems sorted
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Sun May 19, 2019 10:16 am

Exactly what my car did.
When you plug it in to read the codes, if it says it can not connect to motor, it will need the skills of ECU testing.
Hope it's something simple though
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Mini 1000 1981

Ala5dair

Post by Ala5dair » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:41 pm

firebobby wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:16 am
Exactly what my car did.
When you plug it in to read the codes, if it says it can not connect to motor, it will need the skills of ECU testing.
Hope it's something simple though
See my other post of tonight. I suffered a critical EPS malfunction and had to have both ECU and motor re-built. A four-figure sum later, and my EPS is perfect, with no loss in memory (just no cruise control, but I think my indie didn’t realise my car had it...)
2004 3.0i SE in titanium silver with clear third brake and side lights. Black interior.
M-Sport suspension, 18” 107 mag ellipsoids, ZHP, xenons, cruise control and stubby