Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Top Repair/ Wiring Harness Adventure

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
LabRat

Post by LabRat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:05 pm

First, my back story. I was driving and suddenly turned right when I needed to go straight. What I saw was an 04 Z4 with a very clean body for sale. Quickly looking it over and talking to the second owner, I then drive it home. Found this plethora of knowledge, yeah you folks here, and decided to have at it and have a blast in the process!

First repair: replace valve cover gasket. Back left corner weeping like my first pan head. Easy, fun.

Then I decide to fix the top. With all the info here and on YT, I'm not only going to replace the pump, but going to relocated it.
As I start to unscrew the back panel I get this distinct, fermenting odor of pi$$. In that very small compartment where the wire harnesses are, there are 10 nut shells, shredded paper for nesting, and, A SHREDDED WIRE HARNESS, YES, THE MAIN ONE!
IMG_0397.jpg
IMG_0397.jpg (171.86 KiB) Viewed 221 times
IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0398.jpg (180.7 KiB) Viewed 221 times
As I try to undo the harness covering, keep in mind that I wear an xl glove, and there is no room to even wear a glove, and my hands are getting coated with the remains of the mouse excrement. Anyone thinking hantavirus? Anyone?
The horrible creatures shredded:
yellow/green
yellow
red/white
Through sheer determination I spliced them, working like I was a vascular surgeon.
With the repair done, I have to see if the top works, and here is where I have to make fun of myself.
Mind you I'm 4 bolts away from removal. I plug everything back in and cannot freakin wait to try it, hit the switch and the front latches operate close, try going down, nothing, nada, no unlatching. There was a moment of panic that I cross wired something, then started to laugh. Yeah the tray micro switch had to be activated. My very annoyed wife comes down with a spatula in her hand cause she's cooking dinner, holds the switch, latches unlatch but no movement of the top.
I grab a few relatives, out comes the top, and shear disappointment comes over me.
IMG_0417.jpg
IMG_0417.jpg (115.49 KiB) Viewed 221 times
The disappointment is over design. Such a very cool car but why put a cistern in a car then put an electric motor in it.
Just thought I'd share. The car is still cool and I'm having a blast.
Mark
Lower Hudson Valley, NY

LabRat

Post by LabRat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:07 pm

Also, does anyone know what the wires I spliced go to?
Mark
Lower Hudson Valley, NY