Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Draining the well...

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Sidewaze Samm

Draining the well...

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:14 pm

So there is water behind the passenger seat, which I've now established is coming from the roof motor well, which is full of water. (The roof motor has already been relocated to the boot :thumbsup: )

The question is, what is the best way to deal with this:
- poke something(?) down from the top to clear the drain hole?
- find someone with smaller hands to poke the same something up from underneath, to clear the drain hole?
- remove the rubber grommet from the drain hole?

I'm inclined to remove the rubber grommet (assuming this is possible), as I see it being a permanent solution. But will this cause any future issues of any kind?

cheers
2008 E85 3.0si
Space Grey, Dream Red New England heated Msports.
Xenons, MFSW, cruise, PDC, wind deflector.
ZHP, stubby, gloss black grilles, DLV box, gaptech, no CDV.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Draining the well...

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Personally, I use one of those long flexible drain and toilet cleaner wires and poke it up through the bottom hole (grommet removed).
Checked both drain holes recently as I have some water ingress passenger side but it's actually due to a sh!tty door membrane. grrr
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

chrisgreen

Draining the well...

Post by chrisgreen » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:29 pm

I cleared mine by poking two metal skewers taped together from top down then getting underneath and clearing from the bottom (i managed to do without jacking up but i have small hands! You can take the rubber grommet out but apparently it can cause more road noise.
'04 E85 Z4 3.0 silver/black - daily driver :driving: - Sold
'02 E46 M3 PY/Kiwi
'05 E46 330d Touring - Silver Grey/Black

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Draining the well...

Post by ph001 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:36 pm

The increased road noise thing is a total myth. Pipe cleaner from below is how I do mine.

A simple test to see if they are clear is to fill a jug with water and with the roof lowered, pour it down the space where the roof hinges are. It should appear again immediately just in front of the rear wheels
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

PDJ

Draining the well...

Post by PDJ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:45 pm

One of these will do the job of sucking it out from the top and you can use it to change your oil (if you have a dip stick)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/High-Quality-V ... 303&chn=ps

Lance

Draining the well...

Post by Lance » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:07 am

The drain top to bottom is actually quite short, a BBQ skewer worked for me. IMO the jobs worth taking the extra time and doing properly, thus doing it once (every six months).

Wheel off, trim off and grab the grommet tightly, pulling the insert with it. Clean the grommet and insert and then check the drain is draining by using the jug method mention above. Use the skewer if not.

On the motor side if still in the original position, you're really stuck to working from the bottom drain hole.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Draining the well...

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:14 am

Surely it's obvious - buy a car with a proper roof in the first place! :fuelfire:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Sidewaze Samm

Draining the well...

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:38 am

One short-term quick fix...
Just popped round to the local aquatic store and bought a £9 manual syphonic pump thingy, popped one end into the well from above and ten seconds later it's empty :thumbsup:
Of course there's still the issue of it being blocked, but too cold and wet atm to lay down and fiddle with the grommet from underneath.
2008 E85 3.0si

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Draining the well...

Post by ph001 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 am

A lot of people misunderstand the configuration of the drainage system. What you actually have in the bottom of the plastic 'bin' is a hole which is connected to a flexible pipe (a few inches long) which then connects to the bung on the underside of the inner sill.

Often the whole tube gets filled with crap which backs up from the bung getting gunked up. Working from beneath, remove the bung completely then feed a pipe cleaner or equivalent right up through the tube so that it emerges out into the plastic bin. It's not as easy as it sounds as the tube is not straight and also there is a lip on the hole as it enters the bin.

Once you have cleared it once though and not refitted the bungs you are unlikely to have a repeat of the problem. Jug test once a week while doing your regular wash to confirm.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Draining the well...

Post by Number5 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:59 am

I remove these regularly for people when I relocate the roof motors. it takes about 30 seconds.

1) Jack up the car using the rear jacking point
2) The increased height allows you to get elbow room to put your hand up through the sill, feel for the rubber bung towards the front of the car and prize it off.

This avoids the need for removing the wheel and arch cover plate.
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

Sidewaze Samm

Draining the well...

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:56 pm

ph001 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 am A lot of people misunderstand the configuration of the drainage system. What you
actually have in the bottom of the plastic 'bin' is a hole which is connected to a flexible pipe (a few inches long) which then connects to the bung on the underside of the inner sill.
well it had me fooled!
2008 E85 3.0si

Sidewaze Samm

Draining the well...

Post by Sidewaze Samm » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Number5 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:59 amThe increased height allows you to get elbow room to put your hand up through the sill,
. Sounds sensible - got to be a bit of a contortionist or find someone with smaller hands to reach it without a jack.
2008 E85 3.0si

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Draining the well...

Post by MACK » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:37 pm

With mine I always tend to find its the hole at the top of the drain tube/bottom of where the motor lives that blocks rather than the bungs at the bottom. Maybe it's just where I park mine or something. Its kept on a driveway but not under any trees etc though.
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)