Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering Wheel Pulling On Motorway

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:43 pm

Hi All

I have been experiencing some steering issues with my Zed lately. Basically the steering was pulling to one side through normal driving and braking so I asked a mechanic mate of mine to take a look. He confirmed there was slight play in a ball joint Nearside Front, as well as slight play in a pin/ bush Offside and Nearside Front lower. So they were all replaced to the tune of £250 and I thought that would have sorted it.

This week I drove the car up to York which was a 140 miles round trip, and when on the motorway felt the steering wheel feeling wobbly again, so now I've booked it in for a Wheel Balance next week.

Has anyone had similar issues as above and is there anything I should be asking when I take it in next week?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers.
2004 E85 Stirling Grey 2.5L.
Very much original spec apart from roof motor relocation and non run flats.
Not too mechanical savvy so just enjoying the experience.

ben g
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ben g » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:01 pm

This is like a never ending problem for most Z4 owners :lol: I too have the same issue, although it just feels wobbly at motorway speeds on roads where lorries have ruined the road surface, so inside lanes mostly. On smooth, flat, roads mine feels fine.

There is a issue with 'sticky steering', which requires adjustment somewhere on the steering rack, iirc.
Red Soft-top Sterling grey 3.0i - Z4M Front, Eibachs, Polybushed, Clear headlights, Triple clear spot rear lights, Shadow Chrome 107's, Sport MFSW, ZHP.

philbo909

Post by philbo909 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Run-flats?
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:19 pm

Thanks for the reply, Ben & Phil.

Tbh I never had any issues with the wobbly Steering until recently and was told replacing the bushes would sort it out.

The tyres were replaced with Goodyear F1s when I bought it so no longer on run flats.

All the more frustrating whenever I borrow my son's VW Up! 1.0 and the steering is so light & easy :(

brillomaster

Post by brillomaster » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:01 pm

check the rears as well... I recently took my z4 in for a wheel alignment, and the guy basically said that there was no point doing the rear, as the rear trailing arm bushes had completely collapsed. got them replaced as well as swapping out the rear lower control arms for ones from an M3, with balljoints at the end.

before the alignment and new bushes, the car felt horrible to drive.... like the back end was constantly moving around - terrible when following ruts, going round roundabouts etc. now the car is super solid at the back end, no squirm at all. that was on a 2003 car with 150k on the clock, so perhaps check that!

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:17 pm

A Hunters Wheel Alignment should solve your problem.
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

thecookie125

Post by thecookie125 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:47 pm

Does it feel like the steering is making it's own inputs, even when driving over a smooth road?

I had the same problem after I fitted some lower wishbone bushes, turns out the old bushes are so destroyed that they actually make up for and hide other issues in the wheels and suspension.

I ended up getting a full alignment which didn't fix the issue, I then increased the tyre pressures again issue still present.

The final fix for me was to get the wheels balanced but make sure they balanced both the inner and OUTER edges of the barrel. The previous tyre fitter by the looks of things had been worried about clearing my calipers and had only balanced one edge. Drives sweet as a nut now :driving: .

DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:53 am

Thank you all for sharing your experiences :thumbsup:

Gonna take the car in for the Balancing next week so hope that will resolve it, cheers thecookie125 will follow your tip and see how it goes.

R60BBA I think the wheel alignment was included when I had the bushes replaced, but is the Hunter any different to a standard job?

Brillomaster I think the rears are still okay, the fronts were advisories in the last MOT so it needed doing anyway, but there was no mention of the back ones so i assume they're not knackered yet!

DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:58 am

Also trying to make an appointment to see Mike aka Ducklakeview about sorting the 'Sticky Steering' issue, he's quite local to me so hopefully I can set that up soon.

ben g: did you get round to having yours done, and has it made any difference in your opinion?

synthedup

Post by synthedup » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:03 am

DonkeyKong wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:58 am Also trying to make an appointment to see Mike aka Ducklakeview about sorting the 'Sticky Steering' issue, he's quite local to me so hopefully I can set that up soon.

ben g: did you get round to having yours done, and has it made any difference in your opinion?

Where are you based? I can do your steering if you’re near Sheffield? 5 minute job and maybe an adjustment after a test drive :)

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:46 am

DonkeyKong wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:43 pm Hi All

I have been experiencing some steering issues with my Zed lately. Basically the steering was pulling to one side through normal driving and braking so I asked a mechanic mate of mine to take a look. He confirmed there was slight play in a ball joint Nearside Front, as well as slight play in a pin/ bush Offside and Nearside Front lower. So they were all replaced to the tune of £250 and I thought that would have sorted it.

This week I drove the car up to York which was a 140 miles round trip, and when on the motorway felt the steering wheel feeling wobbly again, so now I've booked it in for a Wheel Balance next week.

Has anyone had similar issues as above and is there anything I should be asking when I take it in next week?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers.
Doesn't sound like sticky steering is your issue.
I had that on early 2.5se. Best described as driving down motorway hold steering very lightly & attempt slightest of moves & it would need extra effort to correct from straight. At its worst it would feel as if the steering wheel was rigid. Sorted with adjustment on the column joint.
Yours sounds more like its floaty / wandering?
As mentioned already once the control arms & bushes are replaced next up is wheel balance & alignment.
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

Grumpyowl
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Grumpyowl » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:00 am

Doesn't sound like sticky steering is your issue.
I had that on early 2.5se. Best described as driving down motorway hold steering very lightly & attempt slightest of moves & it would need extra effort to correct from straight. At its worst it would feel as if the steering wheel was rigid. Sorted with adjustment on the column joint.
Yours sounds more like its floaty / wandering?
As mentioned already once the control arms & bushes are replaced next up is wheel balance & alignment.
[/quote]

Agree with Mr W 👍

R60BBA

Post by R60BBA » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:10 am

DonkeyKong wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:53 am Thank you all for sharing your experiences :thumbsup:

Gonna take the car in for the Balancing next week so hope that will resolve it, cheers thecookie125 will follow your tip and see how it goes.

R60BBA I think the wheel alignment was included when I had the bushes replaced, but is the Hunter any different to a standard job?

Brillomaster I think the rears are still okay, the fronts were advisories in the last MOT so it needed doing anyway, but there was no mention of the back ones so i assume they're not knackered yet!
If you had a wheel alignment done, your garage should have informed you and provided you with a print out.

A Hunter Wheel Alignment is a 4-wheel alignment machine which uses lasers to provide an accurate set up.

If operated correctly, it’s the best wheel alignment system out there on the market.

You don’t have to get one of these (a normal 4-wheel alignment with string should suffice) but I highly recommend it, as after every Hunter’s wheel alignment I’ve had - my car has been a lot more direct on the roads.
Current: 2002 E46 M3
Current: 2005 997 Carrera S
Gone: 2004 R53 Cooper S
Gone: 1998 E31 840Ci Sport
Gone: 2007 Z4 E86 3.0Si Sport
Gone: 2001 Z3 E36/7 2.2i San Remo Individual
Gone: 2015 F21 116d M Sport
Gone: 2012 A3 Sportback 1.2TFSI

DonkeyKong

Post by DonkeyKong » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 pm

Thats what I like about this group, invaluable experience and advice which without I'd be at the mechanic's mercy!

Since I had the bushes done the car's handling has improved alot and I no longer feel the wheel pulling at lower speed, the sticky steering issue is noticeable but not undriveable so it is something I will tackle later rather than sooner.

I will update once the balancing is done and hopefully that will give me confidence when driving on motorways, as right now I'm keeping it under 80 due to the vibration on the steering wheel.

Synthedup: Thanks for the offer. My sister lives around Sheffield so next time I'm visiting, I might pop the car round for you to take a look :thumbsup:

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:41 pm

DonkeyKong wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:32 pm

I will update once the balancing is done and hopefully that will give me confidence when driving on motorways, as right now I'm keeping it under 80 due to the vibration on the steering wheel.
This would indicate wheel balance or worn bushes is the issue as opposed to sticky steering or alignment.
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo