Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

bottomed out today

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
road warrior

bottomed out today

Post by road warrior » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:32 pm

on a crap undulating road that was more akin to a roller coaster than a road, i bottomed out a few times and a lovely scraping noise ensued, in days gone by i would have said exhaust scrape, but its very tucked in so its not that. despite my front end being Lower than a snake's belly, i can find no proof of any wheel scrub and my undercarriage is well tucked, so i am at a loss at what it might have been. Jumping on each corner ( bearing in mind it was factory fitted with m sport suspension, (back in 2005) it is soft at the front ( and low) and a little firmer at the back it manages to be both firm and unforgiving and obviously soft and gives up when pushed. i want to return to normal height se spec.
so, what was scraping and what is involved returning to se spec ? and what do you chaps recommend - i dont want firm on any level , i want soft and high please. :o

i have a shopping list of 2x front 225/45/18 tyres so far when i can afford it - meanwhile i will be putting on 16" wheels and tyres which are more comfortable.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

bottomed out today

Post by Chris_D » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:35 pm

Front undertray? Any scrape marks?
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Jollyjoiner

bottomed out today

Post by Jollyjoiner » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:51 pm

16"s SIXTEENS :headbang: :headbang:

GET OUT......GET OUT.... :poke: :telloff: :sos:

:rofl:
2009 35i DCT silver
SLT mapped to 365bhp :)

Yorkie Z

bottomed out today

Post by Yorkie Z » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:55 pm

If you put 16’s wheels on you should be made to leave the forum :wink:
You almost spun the car before Xmas and now you’re grounding it out at speed. I think you need to remove that big right boot :rofl: :rofl:

On a different note are you sure you’re not hitting the bump stops?
A Dirty M///

buzyg
Legend
Legend

bottomed out today

Post by buzyg » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:11 pm

Good man, drive it like you stole it and enjoy your Zed. :driving:

As above check out the front under tray/ sump guard.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

bottomed out today

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:14 pm

I think we should be told how many mince pies you ate over Christmas? :oops:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

philbo909

bottomed out today

Post by philbo909 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:18 pm

Refresh that suspension :thumbsup:
Sapphire black z4 coupe 135,000miles young

SamP84

bottomed out today

Post by SamP84 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:39 pm

road warrior wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:32 pm on a crap undulating road that was more akin to a roller coaster than a road, i bottomed out a few times and a lovely scraping noise ensued, in days gone by i would have said exhaust scrape, but its very tucked in so its not that. despite my front end being Lower than a snake's belly, i can find no proof of any wheel scrub and my undercarriage is well tucked, so i am at a loss at what it might have been. Jumping on each corner ( bearing in mind it was factory fitted with m sport suspension, (back in 2005) it is soft at the front ( and low) and a little firmer at the back it manages to be both firm and unforgiving and obviously soft and gives up when pushed. i want to return to normal height se spec.
so, what was scraping and what is involved returning to se spec ? and what do you chaps recommend - i dont want firm on any level , i want soft and high please. :o

i have a shopping list of 2x front 225/45/18 tyres so far when i can afford it - meanwhile i will be putting on 16" wheels and tyres which are more comfortable.
Evening matey, I feel your pain. I had Eibach springs on with standard shocks and it would bottom out from time to time and make horrible noises. I just went back to standard m-sport springs (new) with good condition shocks.

Before you go back to se spec have you thought about the issue may be tired m sport shocks and springs. My car now is perfect, low enough but doesn’t bottom out at all. It is so much better. All I did was get new m sport springs.

Do you know the age of what’s currently on yours?

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

bottomed out today

Post by Jembo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:42 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:14 pm I think we should be told how many mince pies you ate over Christmas? :oops:
Rob
My precise thoughts as was reading the thread ... :lol:
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

road warrior

bottomed out today

Post by road warrior » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:52 pm

INFAMY - INFAMY - you all have it infamy !!!!! :rofl:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

bottomed out today

Post by road warrior » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:56 pm

SamP84 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:39 pm
road warrior wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:32 pm on a crap undulating road that was more akin to a roller coaster than a road, i bottomed out a few times and a lovely scraping noise ensued, in days gone by i would have said exhaust scrape, but its very tucked in so its not that. despite my front end being Lower than a snake's belly, i can find no proof of any wheel scrub and my undercarriage is well tucked, so i am at a loss at what it might have been. Jumping on each corner ( bearing in mind it was factory fitted with m sport suspension, (back in 2005) it is soft at the front ( and low) and a little firmer at the back it manages to be both firm and unforgiving and obviously soft and gives up when pushed. i want to return to normal height se spec.

Evening matey, I feel your pain. I had Eibach springs on with standard shocks and it would bottom out from time to time and make horrible noises. I just went back to standard m-sport springs (new) with good condition shocks.

Before you go back to se spec have you thought about the issue may be tired m sport shocks and springs. My car now is perfect, low enough but doesn’t bottom out at all. It is so much better. All I did was get new m sport springs.

Do you know the age of what’s currently on yours?
not a bloody clue, but intend to find out soon .............but im old and i dont want low profiles, or low suspension
but im in no doubt something is a amiss and knackered

Doddsy

bottomed out today

Post by Doddsy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:03 pm

Jembo wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:42 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:14 pm I think we should be told how many mince pies you ate over Christmas? :oops:
Rob
My precise thoughts as was reading the thread ... :lol:
Sounds like he’s had too many. Maybe swap the zed for a bicycle for a couple of weeks :poke:
Now: Z4MC Titan Silver
Gone: E86 3.0Si Sport Titan Silver - M exhaust + bumper - Battery Relocated - Aero Front
E86 3.0Si Sport Silver Grey - Carbon Diffuser - Aero Kit - B/Box Mod - Storm MW V2
E85 2.5 Si Sport Titan Silver

road warrior

bottomed out today

Post by road warrior » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:10 pm

leave my pies alone.. :o

road warrior

bottomed out today

Post by road warrior » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:10 pm

my wife is so fat...

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

bottomed out today

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:17 pm

road warrior wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:10 pm leave my pies alone.. :o
I thought so, he’s stockpiling them.
What a joker :)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold