Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Small vertical crack in the rear brake light

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Small vertical crack in the rear brake light

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:50 pm

I found a small vertical crack right in the middle of the 3rd rear brakelight... The car is out of warranty by 5 months. Has anyone had any luck getting this fixed out of warranty? (I know it is a known issue with these)

Failing that, I would be in the market for one if anyone has one spare.
Last edited by sp3ctre on Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:52 pm

I would definitley try to get the stealer to fix it either way. Known issues such as these should extend beyond the normal warranty period, since it is a manufacturers defect.
Last edited by ovrkll on Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:01 pm

ovrkll wrote:I would definitley try to get the stealer to fix it either way. Known issues such as these should extend beyond the normal warranty period, since it is a manufactureres defect.
Yeah... don't have the greatest relationship with the stealer though... remember my roof issue! They are so arrogate there too... might have to try a different garage!
If you are looking for low cost UK insurance, visit our official Z4-forum insurance scheme

ovrkll
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ovrkll » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:04 pm

Might be able to swap the lens with somebody that is still under warranty :evil:
Not sure how difficult it is to swap, but may be worth it instead of paying out of pocket for something that should be covered.

pvr
Legend
Legend

Post by pvr » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:08 pm

Takes 5 minutes to get it out. However - you need a deep socket set.

Try ebay - anyone who has replaced all with clear will have the old one spare
Current:
911-50 Black - unique spec
X5M - 575 hp of fun in a V8
Abarth 595 Comp.
Golf Clipper - collectors item
Z4 3.0si Black Sapphire
VW ID.3

Previous:
Z4M Silver Grey - non flimper spec (gone to Bing)
Z4 3.0 Toledo

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:22 pm

pvr wrote:Takes 5 minutes to get it out. However - you need a deep socket set.

Try ebay - anyone who has replaced all with clear will have the old one spare
Mine is slightly cracked (horizontal crack) & the dealer inspected it: decided it was hit, rather than a defect.

If anyone's prepared to sell a UK-based one for £10GBP email me please.
2004 BMW Z4 2.2iSE Auto, Maldives Blue

melbs

Re: Small vertical crack in the rear brake light

Post by melbs » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:14 am

mine got broken twice, demand the dealer to fix this defect

Z4kma

Post by Z4kma » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:06 pm

I also had this problem ... the Zed went in for a service ... dealer said that the light is not covered under the 'approved used warranty' (I've only had the car since August) ... I pointed out the technical service bulletin and the fact that it was a known problem ... and they said that they would try BMW goodwill. When they entered the cars details and the fault into the system it said that BMW would pay 100% Parts and 100% labour ... whoopee thought I ... then the garage said that they wouldn't do the repair because BMW won't honour any goodwill repair under £100 !!!!!

So I called BMW customer services ... and the very nice lady there said it sounded strange and that she would get back to me ... still waiting! :headbang:
2003, Z4, 3.0i SE, 18k miles, Titanium Silver, Black Oregon Leather, Composite Star 18", Cruise, PDC, Xenon, Hardtop

timscuba
Lifer
Lifer

Post by timscuba » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:15 pm

Mine cracked after 3 1/2 years. I took it in and they said no problem that they would replace it at no cost.

BlackSapphireZ

Post by BlackSapphireZ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:57 am

mine was the same way...took it in, they said it won't be covered because it got hit with something...but you couldn't feel it from outside and the paint around it wasn't damaged... can rock fly backwards while the car is moving?! HIGHLY unlikely

went to another dealer and fixed it soon after. I mean esp if its a known problem with TSB out, why give them trouble?!

Sephanite

Post by Sephanite » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:47 pm

recall on this. stealer should still be able to fix it out of warranty.

Z4kma

Post by Z4kma » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:24 pm

Z4kma wrote: So I called BMW customer services ... and the very nice lady there said it sounded strange and that she would get back to me ... still waiting! :headbang:
It worked! ... the dealer called me back to say that BMW would pick up the whole cost ... so now I've got a brand new brake light ... and I'm happy with BMW again.

Now I wonder if they remembered to change the springs that caused the problem in the first place? ... or did they just replace the broken light unit? Argh! :?
2003, Z4, 3.0i SE, 18k miles, Titanium Silver, Black Oregon Leather, Composite Star 18", Cruise, PDC, Xenon, Hardtop

sp3ctre
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by sp3ctre » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:04 pm

Mine has a "hairline" fracture right in the centre.... wonder if that would be covered or if it needs to have fully cracked?

Z4kma

Post by Z4kma » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:29 pm

Hi sp3ctre

Mine had a crack exactly like the one in the technical bulletin:

I don't know how much this was a factor.
But apparently BMW have a system for entering 'goodwill' claims ... where the dealer enters the cars details and the problem and the system tellls them how much BMW are willing to contribute to the labour and parts ... so it's probably worth a try ... if you can bear another trip to the dealer.
Great site by the way ... just what I need to pretend that I'm still working at my desk over lunchtime!!

Regards,
Kevin