Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

pdc control unit..

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
road warrior

pdc control unit..

Post by road warrior » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:50 pm

im trying to sort my non working pdc, having established its the control unit at fault i bought a secondhand one the first one made a buzzing noise the moment i put it into reverse but not close to anything, no vibrations from any sensors,
now. realoem says it should be 66216914108
but i found 66216942675 in the boot of course not working .. doh..
i acquired an 66216900270 which i was assured was fine, but that makes a loud noise from the dashboard when i put it reverse and lights up
carly , so - thoughts please ?
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Sideways Steve

pdc control unit..

Post by Sideways Steve » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:05 am

do you mean when you put it in reverse it makes a long constant tone ? if so its telling you that one or more of the sensors are knackered.
2004 E85 Z4 Roadster
2007 E91 Touring
2007 R56 Mini JCW (Currently For Sale)

road warrior

pdc control unit..

Post by road warrior » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:45 am

yes it does, i had assumed the control unit was buggered, the serial number doesnt match up with the bmw database either but then..
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

pdc control unit..

Post by road warrior » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:27 am

so to recap, i have tried touching them testing for a noise or vibration and had reasoned it was unlikely that all 4 sensors were buggered, but your saying it buzzes when even one is buggered ? if so how on earth do i work out which one without taking them out ? are they accessed through the boot or underneath ?

Sideways Steve

pdc control unit..

Post by Sideways Steve » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:26 pm

The only way to truely determine if the sensors themselves are knackered is to use the propoer BMW diagniostic software as it will override the cutoffs on them and show you real time readings from each sensor so you can see which ones detect and which ones dont.

ISTA-D is best I find but DIS and INPA are also able to do it.

To give you an idea, I had to replace all 4 of mine even though they all clicked happily when switched on and I didn't have the long tone but the sensors were still faulty.

You have to ensure you buy genuine sensors with the correct part number to match the rest if your only changing one or two. if your changing them all then I think you could get away with aftermarket ones. This is because for some reason the E85 PDC system seems to be quite fussy about what sensors you use. I had one known faulty one on the left which was causing the long tone initially. I changed it for a brand new aftermarket one and that solved the long tone issue but I still got no beeping when reversing at all. I then changed the new one for a second hand genuine one and the system started to partially work but the middle sensors seemed to not give any readings.

Only when I changed all 4 for a set of genuine second hand ones did everything start working properly again.

To remove them you can do the two outer ones by just taking the rear lights out but they tend to get stuck in the holders which are lightly glued to the bumper so your best bet is to whip the rear bumper skin off so you can remove them all easily without breaking the holders off the bumper. if you do break the holders off though they can easily be glued back on so not to worry but again having the bumper off to do this is far easier and you wont cut your hands to shreds!
Last edited by Sideways Steve on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2004 E85 Z4 Roadster
2007 E91 Touring

Sideways Steve

pdc control unit..

Post by Sideways Steve » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:29 pm

Oh and for the record, you can get second hand E39 sensors on ebay cheap enough as they are the same type. I got my full set of second hand E39 sensors for £40 then just re colour coded them to match my car which was much easier than you would think.
2004 E85 Z4 Roadster
2007 E91 Touring

road warrior

pdc control unit..

Post by road warrior » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:10 pm

thank you - will look into it

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

pdc control unit..

Post by mac27040 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:13 pm

did you sort out the faulty sensor, i can run laptop on it to see which one is faulty
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

mjennings23

pdc control unit..

Post by mjennings23 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:37 pm

Sideways Steve wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:26 pmYou have to ensure you buy genuine sensors with the correct part number to match the rest if your only changing one or two. if your changing them all then I think you could get away with aftermarket ones. This is because for some reason the E85 PDC system seems to be quite fussy about what sensors you use. I had one known faulty one on the left which was causing the long tone initially. I changed it for a brand new aftermarket one and that solved the long tone issue but I still got no beeping when reversing at all. I then changed the new one for a second hand genuine one and the system started to partially work but the middle sensors seemed to not give any readings.
That seems to be exactly what has happened with mine, albeit I haven't got round to replacing all 4 yet. I've ordered a set and a PDC module off ebay so can try as required, keep the parts that fix it and send the unneeded bits back.

Finally gave me the incentive to get it sorted!

mjennings23

pdc control unit..

Post by mjennings23 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:53 am

Well for my resolution, seems the PDC module was buggered. Strange as all the sensors were outputting to it and could be read via ISTA, but a new module has sorted it and now I have beeps!