Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Solved: Final stage resistor

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:04 pm

I’ve had my suspicions for a while... blower fan pulsing when on max or a fast setting on both A/C on and off. Sounds like the final stage resistor is gone.

I want to get it sorted ASAP before it starts drawing current as I’m not using the car enough at the moment.

No bmw dealer in the uk has one and apparently it could take up to 3 months to get one.

Anyone know if should avoid certain brands if I went OE?

Has anyone had the pleasure? From what I’ve read it’s a common fault and a bit of a pig to swap (edit: on the e46)
Last edited by Silverzedtom on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Final stage resistor

Post by Smartbear » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:45 pm

If the resistor had gone the fan wouldn’t be working?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Final stage resistor

Post by MACK » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:56 pm

Never heard of the resistor failing on an E85 to be honest. Have you tried GSF (use VIP60 for 60off if you do) and Euro for one? At least its likely to be decent quality from one of them. It does sound like the classic symptoms of one failing from my E46 experience. I wonder if it could be the control/switch panel itself, but then again I've never heard of one of them failing either. How healthy's the battery, we all know how temperamental E85's are to a dicky battery
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Silverzedtom

Final stage resistor

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:45 pm If the resistor had gone the fan wouldn’t be working?
Rob
I think when the resistors go the units unable to give constant resistance and it starts to wander, getting worse as time goes on. I’m a bit worried it will bugger the fan if I leave it for too long. There’s loads online about my exact symptoms for e46’s but not a lot about it on the e85.

As the e46 shares some components I’m hoping It’s this. I’m happy enough to give it a go at £50 all in. If it wasn’t such a pain to get to I’d get a multi meter on it :roll:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Silverzedtom

Final stage resistor

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:52 pm

MACK wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:56 pm Never heard of the resistor failing on an E85 to be honest. Have you tried GSF (use VIP60 for 60off if you do) and Euro for one? At least its likely to be decent quality from one of them. It does sound like the classic symptoms of one failing from my E46 experience. I wonder if it could be the control/switch panel itself, but then again I've never heard of one of them failing either. How healthy's the battery, we all know how temperamental E85's are to a dicky battery
Good point RE the battery. It hasn’t had one in my ownership and has always done low mileage.

Thanks for the codes :thumbsup: , I have checked both but nothing comes up. Anywhere that lists them doesn’t have stock. I’m half tempted to order one from bmw and keep the fan speed low.
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Final stage resistor

Post by Smartbear » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Silverzedtom wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:30 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:45 pm If the resistor had gone the fan wouldn’t be working?
Rob
I think when the resistors go the units unable to give constant resistance and it starts to wander, getting worse as time goes on. I’m a bit worried it will bugger the fan if I leave it for too long. There’s loads online about my exact symptoms for e46’s but not a lot about it on the e85.

As the e46 shares some components I’m hoping It’s this. I’m happy enough to give it a go at £50 all in. If it wasn’t such a pain to get to I’d get a multi meter on it :roll:
The final resistor failed on my Elise (they’re prone to this) and the fan wouldn’t run on the setting the resistor was applicable to. No pulsing, it just stopped completely :?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Final stage resistor

Post by Smartbear » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:52 pm

Are you completely sure it’s the blower fan pulsing?
The reason i ask is because when the water pump started to fail on my 3.0si the main cooling fan started pulsing.
It’s was pretty loud & could have been mistaken for the blower fan.
How many miles has your si covered?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Silverzedtom

Final stage resistor

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:23 pm

Smartbear wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:52 pm Are you completely sure it’s the blower fan pulsing?
The reason i ask is because when the water pump started to fail on my 3.0si the main cooling fan started pulsing.
Rob
Im on 47000 at the moment, when I got it it was on about 25000 just over two years ago. At points it was doing a few hundred miles between MOT’s. I’m only doing a hundred miles a month or less at the moment. I first heard the pulsing about two months ago but it’s slowly getting worse. It’s every time I whack it up now.

I’ll be taking it out tomorrow, I’ll keep an eye on the temp gauge although I’m sure it’s the blower. It seems to be worse for the first few minutes after a cold start... perhaps another indication it’s battery related. The pulsing also stops when the fan speed knobs turned off or below 3/4.

I’ve seen a lot of the pump issues on here, I’m hoping that’s got another year or two yet :cry:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Final stage resistor

Post by Smartbear » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:24 pm

Silverzedtom wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:23 pm
Smartbear wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:52 pm Are you completely sure it’s the blower fan pulsing?
Rob
Im on 47000 at the moment, when I got it it was on about 25000 just over two years ago. At points it was doing a few hundred miles between MOT’s. I’m only doing a hundred miles a month or less at the moment. I first heard the pulsing about two months ago but it’s slowly getting worse. It’s every time I whack it up now.

I’ll be taking it out tomorrow, I’ll keep an eye on the temp gauge although I’m sure it’s the blower. It seems to be worse for the first few minutes after a cold start... perhaps another indication it’s battery related. The pulsing also stops when the fan speed knobs turned off or below 3/4.

I’ve seen a lot of the pump issues on here, I’m hoping that’s got another year or two yet :cry:
The temp gauge on my car never deviated from its normal position, the pump hadn’t failed but was operating below normal levels.
If you say the noisy fan changes when you alter the blower speeds it probably isn’t the cooling fan although mine was only pulsing after a cold start... :?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Final stage resistor

Post by ph001 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:45 pm

I bet it’s not the resistor... never heard of one failing on an E85. In fact I thought it was controlled electronically on the CANBUS
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Final stage resistor

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:27 pm

It's surprising the resistor isn't an issue on the Z4s as it's a very common problem on the E46 - I can only assume it isn't be a shared part.

When the resistor went on my nephew's E46 it kept draining the battery. And it's certainly a PITA to change on an E46! The general consensus is to buy OEM, then you only buy once. :lol:

I never had the fan pulsing on my E86 when the water pump died - I had just put petrol in it and less than a mile later the temperature gauge was in the red with the warning light flashing. :o That was at 60K miles and 10 years.

When the water pump died on my E91 325i (also an N52 engine) again I got no fan pulsing, just an amber temperature warning light that turned red in about half a mile (no temperature gauge, but why should there be when there is no dipstick either) :headbang: But that was after 12 years and 135K.

At least you can see what speed the blower fan is running at on the A/C controls.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Silverzedtom

Final stage resistor

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:18 am

ph001 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:45 pm I bet it’s not the resistor... never heard of one failing on an E85. In fact I thought it was controlled electronically on the CANBUS
where would you start the search? I’ll be doing a cold crank test soon - my multimeters at work at the moment :roll: . If the batteries ok I was going to start with a new FSR, unless you’d suggest I look elsewhere first?
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

Silverzedtom

Final stage resistor

Post by Silverzedtom » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:27 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:27 pm It's surprising the resistor isn't an issue on the Z4s as it's a very common problem on the E46 - I can only assume it isn't be a shared part.

When the resistor went on my nephew's E46 it kept draining the battery. And it's certainly a PITA to change on an E46! The general consensus is to buy OEM, then you only buy once. :lol:

I never had the fan pulsing on my E86 when the water pump died - I had just put petrol in it and less than a mile later the temperature gauge was in the red with the warning light flashing. :o That was at 60K miles and 10 years.

When the water pump died on my E91 325i (also an N52 engine) again I got no fan pulsing, just an amber temperature warning light that turned red in about half a mile (no temperature gauge, but why should there be when there is no dipstick either) :headbang: But that was after 12 years and 135K.

At least you can see what speed the blower fan is running at on the A/C controls.
I was expecting the unit to carry the same part number but it doesn’t and as there seem to be virtually no reports on the e85’s unit I don’t think it is the same part at all. A bit strange but it would be just my luck that Mines gone :lol:

I always prefer oem, as you say fit the part and forget. If My batteries good I’ll order one from bmw and sit tight.

Not looking forward to the pump going, I’ll have to get a preventative maintainance list up together, I’d rather replace it early than get caught out in the middle of nowhere :cry:
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Final stage resistor

Post by firebobby » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:33 pm

I fitted a new resistor to my sons Transit van as it would only work on position 4 and not 1 2 or 3. Now works fine
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Silverzedtom

Post by Silverzedtom » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:15 pm

Pleased to report a new battery has done the trick. No date stamp on the old one but it wasn’t oem. In went a Varta E44 and the fans now solid as a rock :D
E85 2.5si
F55 Cooper S