Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Electrical faults

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
andyf98

Electrical faults

Post by andyf98 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:13 pm

Hi all.
I started my car the other morning and all was fine. 10 mins down the road I went to use the wipers and had no response. I pulled over and noticed that the central locking did not work along with the interior light, wash wipe, and heater. Then the alarm sent out a high pitched tone 3 times before becoming quiet for about 5 mins then sounding again for 3 times ? A colleague mentioned it could be the auxillary water pump which was blowing fuse number 10 (5AMP).
Is this correct ? any other ideas / comments are MOST welcome.
Many thanks.

andyf98

Electrical faults

Post by andyf98 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi all.
I started my car the other morning and all was fine. 10 mins down the road I went to use the wipers and had no response. I pulled over and noticed that the central locking did not work along with the interior light, wash wipe, and heater. Then the alarm sent out a high pitched tone 3 times before becoming quiet for about 5 mins then sounding again for 3 times ? A colleague mentioned it could be the auxillary water pump which was blowing fuse number 10 (5AMP).
Is this correct ? any other ideas / comments are MOST welcome.
Many thanks.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Electrical faults

Post by Mr Tidy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Just a thought, but do you know how old your battery is?

Z4s seem to suffer from really random electrical issues when the battery is getting tired.

If your car is a facelift with the N52 engine it will have the electric water pump, but both times one of those has died on me there was no electrical issue - just almost instant overheating!

But if you can get the codes read from the OBD a dying water pump should show up.

Good luck getting it sorted.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

andyf98

Electrical faults

Post by andyf98 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Thank you for the response. Did get it sorted and it was the small electrical aux water pump. STRANGE that it runs though a 5A fuse which then knocks out all that other stuff. Got it replaced and now running like a dream (and WARM). Thanks again.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Electrical faults

Post by ph001 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:34 pm

andyf98 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:59 pm Thank you for the response. Did get it sorted and it was the small electrical aux water pump. STRANGE that it runs though a 5A fuse which then knocks out all that other stuff
I didn't even know the Z had one of these????
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.