Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot (trunk) struts

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Trav

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by Trav » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:22 pm

Being USA inclusive in the title. My car had Stabilus lift struts fitted in the boot. They looked in reasonable condition. When I pop it from the keyfob I was expecting it to lift an inch. Or enough to get my fingers under. I ordered and fitted a set of Magneto Marellis, as I thought a different brand may give a bit of a different setting. They had quite some compression on them but exactly the same result. I dont want the Mrs fumbling about with her rings on when the boot only lifts about 1/4 inch at most. I dont want it opening like a clown car either.Any suggestions?
Z4MR A.W.

cj10jeeper
Lifer
Lifer

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by cj10jeeper » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:37 pm

Can’t help for the US but there are many UK companies than can build any struts too any weight and speed. I’d do some Googling. I found one a few miles away that made me a set with stainless ends for less than OEM prices
Last edited by cj10jeeper on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaguar F-Type 3.0 Supercharged V6 S, Stratus Grey, LSD, Active Exhaust, CF wheels, Performance brakes, Sports seats and mods ongoing
Gone but not forgotten Z4 3.0i SE Roadster ///M front, Red ///M leather seats, Aero sills

Jas- USA

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by Jas- USA » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:51 am

I had to read your post twice to understand what your asking.

When you open your trunk/boot with the remote, the top of the trunk/boot does not move. I think you are expecting it, when release to spring up a little. However, Z4's Trunk lids do not come up at all, they simply unlock.

At one time a Z4 aftermarket Trunk/Boot opening clip was being offered by at least one vendor. This basically clipped on to the bottom edge of the trunk/boot lid and after unlocking you would use it to lift the trunk/boot lid. I think it was being offer by "Z Solutions" out of California.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by GuidoK » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:32 am

Doesn't the e89 have an adjustable bootlid stop buffer?
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Jas- USA

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by Jas- USA » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:49 am

I had it half right. The vendor is Roadster Solutions.....

www.roadstersolutions.com/page63.html

If you click on the above link and scroll down you'll see the listing for BMW z4 trunk lid handle. Although there is a picture of it, they no longer have it for sale. If your in the USA give them a call and perhaps they might be able to give you info on finding one of these.

Trav

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by Trav » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:38 am

Jas- USA wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:49 am I had it half right. The vendor is Roadster Solutions.....

www.roadstersolutions.com/page63.html

If you click on the above link and scroll down you'll see the listing for BMW z4 trunk lid handle. Although there is a picture of it, they no longer have it for sale. If your in the USA give them a call and perhaps they might be able to give you info on finding one of these.
Thanks for that. I had seen their website as they also still show soft top side covers. They no longer stock them either. The handle does protrude a bit in any case. I had a look online, it may be a case of buying adjustable gas struts. Or I might just have to live with it if it's just a feature of the car.
Z4MR A.W.

road warrior

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by road warrior » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:28 am

Having replaced the struts on my 2.0 I of course find the same problem with Steve 3.0.
But here is the thing, given that the intention is to merely un lock and not open a LA tailgate stylee, does it actually matter if the strut is weak? Having replaced the 2 struts and now it has almost fierce resistance to shutting I'm wondering if there is any benefit at all - aside from building my muscles up to shut it ?
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

tomrdy

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by tomrdy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:33 am

Not sure why some are saying it doesn't move at all - mine springs up enough to slide my fingers under the bottom lip.

Mine sprung up even when I had weak struts (my boot at any position that wasn't maximum open, would just fall/slam).

Now with new struts I need to put some grit in it to close lol.

But the unlock springing has not ever changed for me - remote open it interior boot button.
-SOLD- Nardo grey 2004 Z4 3.0i E85
-SOLD- 2016 Long Beach Blue M2 DCT
-Wishing- Z4MC Interlagos blue... :oops:
___
Australia

srhutch

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by srhutch » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:20 am

GuidoK wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:32 am Doesn't the e89 have an adjustable bootlid stop buffer?

This is an E85 :wink:

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by paddy wright » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:26 am

road warrior wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:28 am Having replaced the struts on my 2.0 I of course find the same problem with Steve 3.0.
But here is the thing, given that the intention is to merely un lock and not open a LA tailgate stylee, does it actually matter if the strut is weak? Having replaced the 2 struts and now it has almost fierce resistance to shutting I'm wondering if there is any benefit at all - aside from building my muscles up to shut it ?
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

paddy wright
Lifer
Lifer

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by paddy wright » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:27 am

road warrior wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:28 am Having replaced the struts on my 2.0 I of course find the same problem with Steve 3.0.
When the struts are weak and the boot slams you increase the risk of breaking the middle brake light
Z4 2.2 sterling grey,Msport seats,retrofit cupholders,cruise,footwell lights,sound gen and mfsw,18"ellipsoids,xenons+light washers,ZHPknob,folding mirrors,3"stubby,update wheel caps,gateway300 ipod, wind deflector to keep the wife happy!

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by GuidoK » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:22 pm

srhutch wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:20 am
GuidoK wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:32 am Doesn't the e89 have an adjustable bootlid stop buffer?

This is an E85 :wink:
Well if its an e85 its a dead easy problem isnt it?
Adjust the stop buffer or fit the new style stop buffer with the spring pins in it.

I could have sworn this was placed in the e89 section back then
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by Jembo » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:01 pm

Ur lucky it’s not an E86 bootlid, weigh a ton
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

road warrior

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by road warrior » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:37 am

Jembo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:01 pm Ur lucky it’s not an E86 bootlid, weigh a ton
debatable. cus if i had the money i would have :roll:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Zulu4

Boot (trunk) struts

Post by Zulu4 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:49 pm

My E85 boot is heavy to lift with a boot spoiler.
Last edited by Zulu4 on Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
2007 3.0si Auto Sport Roadster. Whippy.
Previous:
2003 3.0i SE Roadster. Whippy.