Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BBK conversion, resulting in soft pedal.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Huddo66

Post by Huddo66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Just taken ownership of 3.0 si coupe that has Forge 2D brake conversion. Love the car but brake pedal travel is at least 75%. Spoiling the drive as I feel I need to anticipate braking more than is usual. Would a new master cylinder help.

MrPT
Lifer
Lifer

Post by MrPT » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:18 pm

Have you bled the brakes and, if so, did you bleed both sides of each caliper? It might also be worth a DIY or garage bleed using ABS pump activation, to get rid of any trapped bubbles.
2008 Z4MC: heavy wheels | crap suspension | skittish rear end | wobbly engine | not enough induction noise | underwhelming turn in | inconsistent braking | lardy battery | chubby steering wheel
2006 Z4 2.5si: gone

Trav

Post by Trav » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Many brake conversions are supposed to be matched to the master cylinder fitted to the car. I think it can also affect front to back brake bias. This was common on Caymans. I didnt upgrade mine as I got used to the progression. There was an easy master cylinder upgrade. I think the Z has a pretty common unit across the range. Maybe an M3 would be the place to look for a replacement.
Z4MR A.W.

Huddo66

Post by Huddo66 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:35 pm

Brakes bled today. Previous owner was happy with this but taking some getting used. Was wondering wether Zm4 master cylinder was the answer.