Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Car not locking from the remote button

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
noiseboy72

Post by noiseboy72 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi All.
Over the last couple of days my 06 2.5Si has stopped locking from the button. It seems to be sending the command, as if I manually lock it and wait until the interior light has gone out, pressing the button again puts the light back on.

I can lock it and secure it by using the key and all doors and boot etc. is secure. The bonnet sensor has been disconnected, but I wonder if there's another sensor causing the issue?

Any pointers appreciated

TIA.
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Sounds fairly typical of the GM5 locking module, the linked thread has a guide to the repair which is a fairly cheap and easy DIY job but does require sending your module off for a repair as they are coded to the car and cannot easily be swapped. A face lift car like yours has slightly easier access behind the glovebox.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=102586&hilit
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

noiseboy72

Post by noiseboy72 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks, sounds like it might remain like that until the new year as I don't have the time to strip it down at the moment. The only good news is I can solder and de-solder, so hopefully a relay swap will cure it!
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Either that or the rechargeable battery in the key is getting old and knackered. Have you tried the other key?
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Sideways Steve

Post by Sideways Steve » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:06 am

Certainly sounds like the GM5 locking relays. You can get a pair for about £10 delivered off eBay and replace them yourself if your handy with a soldering iron. I just done mine two weeks ago and everything now works again as it should :)
2004 E85 Z4 Roadster
2007 E91 Touring
2007 R56 Mini JCW (Currently For Sale)

dhobbs

Post by dhobbs » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:14 am

I have exactly the same symptoms but with my spare key, been using it for a while now and the battery is holding its charge better now.
If the OP can test the spare key and all is well, then that’s good and free, otherwise it’s the soldering iron job!
3.0si roadster. Requisite stubby. Sound gen mod. LED numberplate lights. LED boot strip. Interior lights LED too. ZHP gearknob. Daily drive :driving:
Motor in boot. Bilstein B8 dampers. New radio, much better sounds :thumbsup:

Sideways Steve

Post by Sideways Steve » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:40 pm

generally if it locks but wont unlock or vice versa with the remote then its not a key issue. But yes its certainly worth trying the spare key just incase the battery has decided to pack in.

You can actually replace the battery in the key and re program it to the car as I recently done that with my spare key which had been damaged by the previous owner but its not a straight forward job and you need to cut the key apart to do it.
2004 E85 Z4 Roadster
2007 E91 Touring
2007 R56 Mini JCW (Currently For Sale)

fredej

Post by fredej » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:30 pm

If all other function on the key works it is most likely the battery level in the key that is causing problems. See this thread for an explanation: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109661