Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Fuelly Smell

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Capa

Fuelly Smell

Post by Capa » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Hi chaps,

Just putting it out there for some ideas on what might be wrong with my car. Essentially it seems to run fine, but there's a relatively strong petrol smell. It's worse on startup as you'd expect, but when you'd have expected the smell to clear, it's still there - for example when reversing into a parking space after a 20 mile drive it's still quite noticeable.

No engine warning lights, MPG average is on 29.7 and so on. I'm just wondering what it is - I've smelled a couple of coupe's since finding the fault; mine's definitely different an infinitely more fuelly than others.
E86 | Stratus Grey

MACK
Lifer
Lifer

Fuelly Smell

Post by MACK » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Not particularly helpful but its got to either be running rich or a leak/fumes from somewhere. Try and see if you can isolate where the smell is strongest, i.e the exhaust for running rich etc.
On the leak side of things I guess its good old fashion detective work, dont forget to check the seal on the fuel cap. its a common failure point on a lot of cars.
I take it as you dont have any warning lights etc
Silver 05 3.0i SE
Mods inc - F/L Xenons Clear Ind Rear Lights M Sport Seats & Wheel Eibach/B4 3.64 DIFF (SOLD)

White E89 20i M Sport
Mods inc- B12 kit, M3 Arms, 18" Zito 935's with PS4's, Decat & Remap, Switchable Exhaust Flap (SOLD)

Capa

Fuelly Smell

Post by Capa » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks Mack, had a look earlier and fuel cap is quite happy - though it was a solid call. Definitely back of the car - I'd say it was exhaust fumes and rich running - is there any way to check the lambda probes, though would this not throw an engine light?
E86 | Stratus Grey