Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Full beam pattern weird

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
samZ4M

Full beam pattern weird

Post by samZ4M » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Been driving the Z a few times at night recently and noticed on full beam the pattern is weird. It's missing a big chunk on the near side as shown in this amazing diagram. No dirt etc on the lenses. It's as though the near side is too low and the offside is doing the right half, but the whole width above.

I figure this maybe due to the lights being on Euro mode (the little toggle on the xenons). But it's just passed an MOT, so should be correct, non?

Grey is the dark spot.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (5.65 KiB) Viewed 1249 times

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Full beam pattern weird

Post by RickRob » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:21 pm

Sorry I can't help re your dark spot, but are you saying that you can switch beam for driving abroad on a toggle? Where is the toggle?

Thanks!
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

samZ4M

Full beam pattern weird

Post by samZ4M » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Well, toggle being a little switch on the side of the reflector in the headlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQLVt7j01w

RickRob
Lifer
Lifer

Full beam pattern weird

Post by RickRob » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:11 pm

samZ4M wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:23 pm Well, toggle being a little switch on the side of the reflector in the headlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQLVt7j01w
Thanks

I was hoping that there was a more accessible switch than that. With my mechanical skills I'd probably get a gazillion volts through me if I went that deep inside the car.

But good to know that I have an alternative to sticking beam deflectors on the headlamp glass (or as is usually the case, forgetting all about the strange customs in foreign parts!).
///M Roadster. 2007 Black/Black. Rear spoiler, whippy aerial, mud flaps and gimp-style wind deflector! :)

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Full beam pattern weird

Post by Jembo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:48 pm

You haven’t fitted LED bulbs have you?

Have a car with factory LED’s, very bright though as they’re directional have a couple of minor grey areas... feature of LED bulbs
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

rally-chris

Full beam pattern weird

Post by rally-chris » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:51 pm

The beam toggle inside the xenon lights just remove the flick up towards the left that RHD main beams normally create. That alone should not be the reason for a dark spot in your beam.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

samZ4M

Full beam pattern weird

Post by samZ4M » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:45 am

Sorry to get your hopes up RickRob!

Car is completely OEM, so no LED's.

I think I'm going to have to do the flick switch in the dark and see, I can't see what else it'd be.