Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Coolant bleeding procedure question.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Bluebluemooner

Post by Bluebluemooner » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Bled the coolant system on my e85 after fitting a hella expansion tank after the old one developed a pinhole leak .
I've followed the procedure with nose up on ramps heater sytem running set to hot until the fluid comes out of the bleed hole free of bubbles.
My question is what now? All the guides I've read including tis say reinstall the bleed screw then nothing else. However at this point the fluid level is close to the neck of the tank and showing overfull. I can't believe this is right so have syphoned off some fluid before running but is this correct? Thanks in advance Andy
03 2.5i roadster. Sapphire black. 108's.

mac27040
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mac27040 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:56 pm

check water level once cool to see if its returned to correct level. Hot water expands !!
3.0i SMG Supercharged,19" CSL, AvinUSA android 10.25” screen,DSP,M6 gearknob,Coilovers,Aero F-bumper,M r-bumper,Aero skirts,Facelift front & rear lights,M sports seats,Carbon Steering wheel,Intravee,Rervese cam,Hydrographics

Piper1

Post by Piper1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:41 pm

mac27040 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:56 pm check water level once cool to see if its returned to correct level. Hot water expands !!
+1 I was paranoid about did I bleed mine enough so it was suggested here to let idle at 1,500 and you see a steady stream just under the neck of the expansion tank. For me to do this the Mrs helped but there’s software that one who suggested it has that does it without a helper. If it’s not steady stream still need to bleed it more. As for level once bled now let it cool and check. I’m assuming you have M54 motor with front end lifted as you did it, heard n52 has bit different process
03 Z4 2.5i
ESS VT1, Racing Dynamics SS headers ceramic coated, Full Super Sprint system, 4.10:1 LSD, K Sport BBK, Koni yellow/eibach combo, and lots of other bits
07 e86 3.0si stock for the moment