Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

ECU/Keys Replacement

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Beynon5

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by Beynon5 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:36 am

Hi,

I rather unwisely bought car with only 1 key (2.5 2003 E85) - this was made even worse by the fact that it only works in the ignition, the drivers door and boot are seemingly different keys!

My question is (and I have searched the forum before posting!)

If I was to buy a matching set from a breakers of 2 keys, 3 barrels (ignition, drivers door and boot) and ECU and swap them would it all work?

I know some mileage information is stored in the LCM/Light unit, would I end up with a mileage tampering dot?

Thanks in advance!

IAmOrion

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by IAmOrion » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:17 am

Beynon5 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:36 am Hi,

I rather unwisely bought car with only 1 key (2.5 2003 E85) - this was made even worse by the fact that it only works in the ignition, the drivers door and boot are seemingly different keys!

My question is (and I have searched the forum before posting!)

If I was to buy a matching set from a breakers of 2 keys, 3 barrels (ignition, drivers door and boot) and ECU and swap them would it all work?

I know some mileage information is stored in the LCM/Light unit, would I end up with a mileage tampering dot?

Thanks in advance!
It's not the "ECU" you need, it's the EWS Module that stores the keys etc. Not sure about a mileage tampering dot, however the EWS does store mileage as do the keys from memory. Swapping the EWS is easy enough, and touch wood, everything would work fine

Where are you based? I can code keys for the E85 (and E89 now, but I've yet to be able to test and confirm E89 model)
NO LONGER OWN A Z4 SO NOT AS ACTIVE HERE ANYMORE (IF AT ALL).
I STILL OFFER FREE CARLY CODING & EWS KEY/TRANSPONDER CODING AT MY HOME
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Z4DIYCustomMods/

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by Jembo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:58 pm

There's a guy on eBay.... BMWkeys I think is his username. I used him as recommended by Mcutters as had a dodgy key on my old 3.0SE in 2012... and he's still there as PM'd earlier in the year.

Has some super fangled machine that sorts just about everything, including when I looked some time back issuing a new key, even though I was led to believe there are only 6 of them available in the world for each Z4.

He's based on the A13 out of London on the way to Essex, so as u only have one key you'd have to chat first then drive there
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:49 pm

OP, depending on where you are you could also consider contacting forum member Ducklakeview. He is based in Cheshire and cut and coded a key for my E86 last year.

Hope you get it sorted. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

sapman75

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by sapman75 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:51 am

Good luck with this.
I was in similar situation and believed through research it was a matter of finding a breakers with barrel set, key or keys and ews module after both my car keys were stolen from a break in.
I changed out the barrel and replaced ews module as recommended.
I can get the ignition to come on but the engine won't fire. starter motor works fine but no spark.
through further research I have found that the dme module under the bonnet has the vin number stamped in it and can't be changed or programmed and I'm sure it's the reason why my car won't turn over with the alternative ews module.
I've now purchased 2 blank keys and a ak90+ reader as recommended by orion on here. I've reprogrammed the blank keys to the original ews reader as I know that everything worked fine prior to the break in. today I have got a locksmith coming round to cut my blank keys to that of the replacement key and fingers crossed I'm back on the road.
I don't know if my situation is unique but definitely didn't work for me so the reason for plan b.
also as a side note changing the barrel requires a special bmw tool to remove otherwise you need to dremmel cut it and remove with pliers.
good luck in sorting out your car.
2003 BMW Z4 2.5 SE, Maldives Blue, Beige Oregon leather, Stubby, 40k from new,

IAmOrion

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by IAmOrion » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:09 am

sapman75 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:51 am Good luck with this.
I was in similar situation and believed through research it was a matter of finding a breakers with barrel set, key or keys and ews module after both my car keys were stolen from a break in.
I can get the ignition to come on but the engine won't fire. starter motor works fine but no spark.
through further research I have found that the dme module under the bonnet has the vin number stamped in it and can't be changed or programmed and I'm sure it's the reason why my car won't turn over with the alternative ews module.
I've now purchased 2 blank keys and a ak90+ reader as recommended by orion on here. I've reprogrammed the blank keys to the original ews reader as I know that everything worked fine prior to the break in. today I have got a locksmith coming round to cut my blank keys to that of the replacement key and fingers crossed I'm back on the road.
I don't know if my situation is unique but definitely didn't work for me so the reason for plan b.
also as a side note changing the barrel requires a special bmw tool to remove otherwise you need to dremmel cut it and remove with pliers.
Damn... I’ve really got my fingers crossed for you. You may be somewhat of a unique case, although the vehicle vin IS stored in the ews and keys... so maybe it is checked. I can’t remember if the AK90+ allows you to change vin if the ews - I think it does but not sure
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by Jembo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:19 am

I seem to remember reading the E85/E86 key security is very sophisticated, so soohisticated that BMW discontinued its design as caused more challenges than it sought to resolve.

The design as partly mentioned above was to have the transponder in the keys uniquely coded to the VIN to the ECU, so even copying them wouldn’t work. However, like everything a few people have found a way... though don’t expect the journey to be easy.

The BMWKeys guy on eBay is very helpful, even if u just PM him he’s normally v good for advice
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Beynon5

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by Beynon5 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:49 pm

Thanks all for the replies, apologies for the delay too, my speedo decided to die which meant I spent my last few free days testing the centre then to find out I needed to change the reluctor ring on the drive shaft which was fun! - I'm based in West London so could always go and visit the BMW keys guy on the A13.

Bit frustrating that I'd need more than just the EWS & Keys! I've removed the drivers door barrel on a previous Z I owned and agree its not a straight forwards job! I'll have to have a think of how I do it.

Beynon5

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by Beynon5 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:50 pm

sapman75 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:51 am Good luck with this.
How did you get on with this one? I still haven't got to the keys, spotted a few EWS & Key sets second hand but no point in going that way if the DME still holds the vin!

sapman75

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by sapman75 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi
Sorry for the slow response, haven’t checked in for a while.
After a lot of soul searching and head scratching my car started up and I have since taken it out of storage and is currently parked up next to a M2 round my mates house so we can work on it further. The M2 is a hell of a performance car, makes the z4 seem so tame in comparison.
This is how we managed to resolve my issue.
Remember both car keys were stolen.
Purchased lock set and ems module on eBay and ak90+ reader and diamond keys through Alibaba, thanks to Orion for this.
Changed out lock set. Iginition barrel is a pita and will need to be dremel cut if you don’t have the bmw tool.
Replacement ews module wasn’t getting the final go signal from the dme.
Took the original ews module and plugged it into the ak90+ reader and programmed replacement keys from Alibaba.
Got a locksmith to lazer cut original key onto the copies.
Put it all back in and fired up 1st time.
Only issue I have now is trying to programme the replacement keys to activate the remote central locking. Hopefully Orion will have some suggestions?
Have watched numerous YouTube videos but no success.
Car has been in storage 2 years and did some tests on the car. Now have the dreaded roof motor failure! Not sure how to deal with that yet as I imported the car to Australia when I immigrated.
My car is an 03 2.5 with only 56k on the clock.
I hope this helps and gets you mobile again soon.

IAmOrion

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by IAmOrion » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:13 pm

sapman75 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:59 pm Only issue I have now is trying to programme the replacement keys to activate the remote central locking. Hopefully Orion will have some suggestions?
This has always worked for me in numerous Z4’s - If its not working, could be an issue with the battery in the key.

I’ve done this with no “working keys” (I assume it means remotes) before and still worked
3C027F49-3841-4C79-A556-839AC07C2F49.png
3C027F49-3841-4C79-A556-839AC07C2F49.png (153.88 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22

sapman75

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by sapman75 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Thanks Orion
My mate works in the mines so will try charging the keys when he is back next week.
When you purchased your keys on alibaba did you have to charge the keys prior to configuration?
With regards to the hood not working I can hear the motor running so will look at whether the bypass is stuck? As per others on the forum. Silly question do you have to remove the hood to see if the bypass is stuck?
Thanks guys.

IAmOrion

ECU/Keys Replacement

Post by IAmOrion » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:34 pm

sapman75 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 pm Thanks Orion
My mate works in the mines so will try charging the keys when he is back next week.
When you purchased your keys on alibaba did you have to charge the keys prior to configuration?
With regards to the hood not working I can hear the motor running so will look at whether the bypass is stuck? As per others on the forum. Silly question do you have to remove the hood to see if the bypass is stuck?
Thanks guys.
No I didn't. They keys I bought from AliExpress all worked fine

Not entirely sure on your roof issue - from memory I believe the bypass thing is on the left side when facing your boot. It's a red eyelet thing. I think it moves very freely and easily so you shouldn't need to pull it or anything... this vid I found on youtube may help...
Screenshot 2018-12-18 at 12.34.12.png
Screenshot 2018-12-18 at 12.34.12.png (777.01 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
IN CAMBRIDGE CB22