Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N52 hesitation, stuttering, jerking, surging etc

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:15 pm

jack07 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:43 pm Doh! Just seen plugs,sorry :(
Haha, no worries. Your thoughts on the current plugs? :P

jack07

Post by jack07 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Mingers! I go for the platinum NGKS,and replace before the mileage,never get trouble,and checks all 6 cylinders colours .The really dear ones stay in far too long,so you don't get to check in between.
:driving: :thumbsup: :) This is the car I've been waiting for http://s611.photobucket.com/user/markhorner100/albums

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:27 pm Hi, I found when my si started to use oil it was fouling the plugs closest to the bulkhead the most which I presume is linked to the position the ccv is plumbed into the inlet manifold?
Rob
Oh right, was there an actual issue in the end? Blocked CCV or similar? I'll have to check my oil level to see if it is actually using oil.
[/quote]

I blamed a partially blocked ccv system as after flushing it through with sea foam several times matters improved to normal levels.
Rob
[/quote]

Interesting. Do you have any info on how this can be done? I've noticed quite a bit of oil usage, bearing in mind i only changed the oil about 1000 miles ago, which combined with the oil in the intake, would suggest an issue with the CCV...

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:17 pm

propaintballa wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:44 pm
Smartbear wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:27 pm Hi, I found when my si started to use oil it was fouling the plugs closest to the bulkhead the most which I presume is linked to the position the ccv is plumbed into the inlet manifold?
Rob
Oh right, was there an actual issue in the end? Blocked CCV or similar? I'll have to check my oil level to see if it is actually using oil.
I blamed a partially blocked ccv system as after flushing it through with sea foam several times matters improved to normal levels.
Rob
[/quote]

Interesting. Do you have any info on how this can be done? I've noticed quite a bit of oil usage, bearing in mind i only changed the oil about 1000 miles ago, which combined with the oil in the intake, would suggest an issue with the CCV...
[/quote]

Hi, I just put a load down the top pipe with a large syringe & blew down the lower section until I could hear the oil bubbling in the sump!
I did this several times and ran the car until it was hot and changed the oil 8)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Dammit, I've only just changed the oil -.- haha

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:11 pm

Quick update: So I replaced the plugs with some NGK Iridiums and the issue still persists. Getting a bit fed up of throwing money at it at the moment, so just going to leave it for now. Could be CCV, I don't know :/

AveZ4coop

Post by AveZ4coop » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:07 am

I am sure you have checked, but make sure all the coil packs are seated all the way down on the plugs. I found the newer type coil packs did not seat as well as the old 'click' type. Wiggled mine all the way down and problem went away.

Long shot, but worth looking at?
Montego blue 2006 BMW Z4 coupe 3.0si with black interior, ZHP, Whippy, 12mm front/16mm rear spacers on BBS 108's wrapped in Michelin PS4's. :driving:Brand new Pierburg water pump fitted at 101k after failure :cry: (should have done it at 100k) :headbang:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:10 pm

Don't give up - you haven't even got to any of the expensive bits yet! You said you had a lot of oil in the intake, increased oil consumption and plug fouling. Sounds like no.4 on the list is almost obligatory...

1) Observe O2 sensor voltages in INPA
2) Fit new battery
3) Replace coil packs and plugs
4) Replace CCV valve and check pipes to sump for blockages
5) Replace / inspect second DISA valve
6) Replace valvetronic motor
7) Have VANOS unit stripped and inspected.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:50 am

AveZ4coop wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:07 am I am sure you have checked, but make sure all the coil packs are seated all the way down on the plugs. I found the newer type coil packs did not seat as well as the old 'click' type. Wiggled mine all the way down and problem went away.

Long shot, but worth looking at?

I actually bought the 'old' type, assuming by that you mean the Bosch coils as opposed to the Delphi replacements? Thanks though, I will double check although I feel like I was pretty positive in my hammering them in in anger at the time :P
ph001 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:10 pm Don't give up - you haven't even got to any of the expensive bits yet! You said you had a lot of oil in the intake, increased oil consumption and plug fouling. Sounds like no.4 on the list is almost obligatory...

1) Observe O2 sensor voltages in INPA
2) Fit new battery
3) Replace coil packs and plugs
4) Replace CCV valve and check pipes to sump for blockages
5) Replace / inspect second DISA valve
6) Replace valvetronic motor
7) Have VANOS unit stripped and inspected.
That's not true! I've done MAF, 2 VANOS solenoids, eccentric shaft sensor and VCG! The latter of which isn't THAT expensive but I think the rest is, especially considering the monetary value of the car. I think I'll have to wait until after Christmas as we have a holiday to Barbados to pay for and a house we are renovating (problems happen at the worst times!).

After that, I think I will get that lower DISA out and have a look. There is a slight rattle in the engine bay which is hard to trace, but could be that. Then I think CCV. That is if I haven't just sold it by then. Though I suppose whilst inspecting the DISA, may as well do the CCV as the intake has to come off -.-

Another thing I read about actually, was someone with the same symptoms caused by the valvetronic motor gasket leaking. Which I feel would be obvious to the ear, but I might check that out. Unsure if the VCG kit comes with that gasket.

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Okay so quick update, if this counts as one, other than my bloody sunroof now randomly opening, I have stumbled upon a new bit of info from my OBD reader.

Within the "smooth running" live data, cylinder 5 appears to be running waaayyyyy out of the parameters listed (-200 to 200). -200 to 200 what exactly, I am not sure, but the values seemed to peak at ~-3000 (picture below). The rest seem to be around (-)50, +-50 or so.

Seeing as I have replaced coils and plugs within the last couple of months, my thoughts are now with the injector. Of course it could still be anything, could be valve or cylinder related, however I find the latter options highly unlikely... Any thoughts on the likelihood of an injector problem? When I have time, I could try swapping injector positions and see if the rough running follows.

The only problem I have with this diagnosis is that I have listened to the injectors for the solenoid function and they all seem the same to activate consistently and with the same volume. I have Also tried injector cleaner since I've had this problem which hasn't done anything (surprise).

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:35 am

Doesn’t seem to concur with the rough running data on that cyl in INPA though.

Your reluctance to inspect the Ccv system seems illogical.
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:34 pm

ph001 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:35 am Doesn’t seem to concur with the rough running data on that cyl in INPA though.

Your reluctance to inspect the Ccv system seems illogical.
That's true, I forgot about the INPA stuff. Oh, my reluctance is probably because an injector is a lot easier to fix ;) Hahah

On a serious note though, I don't suspect one more than the other, there are aspects of both that make me question them. For example, from what I gather, CCV issues seem to cause excessive oil filler cap vacuum if they are blocked. But I guess it doesn't rule out a leak, though the vacuum at the oil filler cap seems normal (based on the Z4C I had).

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:42 pm

It's really based on the 2+ years I have been on here I have never heard of a single E85 / E86 injector problem (in stark contrast to the E89 N54 with it's piezo injectors). That's not to say it's not possible of course but if you have no error codes to go on you have to start with the most likely / least expensive culprits first.

CCV problems are fairly widespread, moreso on the M54B30 admittedly but still quite a few on the N52. It wasn't until the later revised N52K system that BMW seem to have got their heads around it.

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:43 pm

So just to update this. I finally got around to doing the CCV, replaced the actual unit and the associated breather hoses. I had a feeling I might find other issues whilst I was doing this, so it came as no surprise when I found the internal rubber seals on the inner DISA valve to have disintegrated. That being said, I was expecting the flap to be loose due to a rattle noise the car makes at idle.

Is it fixed? In short, no. The work I did has remedied some ill behaviours, but not all of them. The random stuttering and bucking at certain points in the rev range when going at constant speed is still there, as is the rough idle and just general abnormal power delivery.

What have I replaced so far?

MAF
Valve cover gasket
Oil and filter
Eccentric shaft sensor
Both VANOS solenoids
Spark plugs
Ignition coils
CCV
Inner DISA

I am just lost now. Part of me thinks there is a timing issue issue that is either down to the mechanical timing or oil pressure related which is affecting the valvetronic/VANOS. The rattle which is sometimes audible at idle makes me think there could be a more sinister reason for this. I think the only other 'simple' thing I haven't tried which I have seen as a fix for similar symptoms was replacing the VANOS non-return valves. Like mine, the guy mentioned they looked fine (I cleaned mine) but the new ones resolved his hesitation issue. He determined this was as a result of the spring/moving part malfunctioning despite it looking fine.

Naylz

Post by Naylz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:14 pm

What about the valvetronic motor? I’m a newbie on here and my recently bought 2008 z4 2.5si N52 has similar symptoms, it kind of bogs down on initial acceleration and then kind of surges as it moves up through the Rev range until about 3500rpm. If I gently accelerate then I can move through the Rev range smoother. I had fault code for valvetronic adjustment range and knock sensors 1 & 2. Oh and on idle the Rev counter bobbles about slightly. As we speak the dealer I purchased it from is replacing the valvetronic motor. I will let you know if that cures it, I did read about eccentric shaft sensor faults/oil fouling giving similar problems but as I had no fault codes for that I’m hoping it’s just the motor.