Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

N52 hesitation, stuttering, jerking, surging etc

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Turner_e90

Post by Turner_e90 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:44 pm

Hi there, i’ve never used a forum before but i’ve read a few pages here and there on this thread as im having the same issues. I’ve recently supercharged my 330i even tho i have these issues and my tuner is thinking its the ccv. I have a febi bilstien ccv kit coming and when I replace that i’ll see if that fixes my issue and let you know. I’ve also already changed plugs, coils, battery, eccentric shaft sensor, changed small DISA valve as was throwing code (big one looks fine), cleaned vanos solenoids and check valves (i know not the best thing but🤷🏻‍♂️) i will also be replacing my water pump and thermostat in the next few weeks. This is all because of these issues and my car was also down on power by 25bhp.

Thanks
Attachments
F3935D73-DE73-4955-AF7D-1BB50050AEE3.jpeg
F3935D73-DE73-4955-AF7D-1BB50050AEE3.jpeg (106.25 KiB) Viewed 1732 times

Thorttle01

Post by Thorttle01 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:05 pm

Hello Guys,
I have exactly same symptoms like Propaintballa wrote. Including hissing sound under car on right side, where exhaust mainfold is.
All values in INPA seems to be normal. No DTC at all.

I have:
- Jerky deceleration when rpm<2000. More significant when engine is cold. The car sometimes shakes like tyre would have defect.
- Surging at constant speed. I am fighting with gas pedal like crazy if i want maintain constant speed.
- Hissing sound under car. Can be hear only outside the car near front right wheel.
- Power/torque loss in whole rpm spectrum.
- Popp sound from exhaust after giving very little throttle. Deeper and louder exhaust tone when accelarating than before and lack of power.
- Light smell of exhaust gasses on hard acceleration but only when the window is open.

Checked both DISA units (outer was broken, but no change after replacement).
Replaced VANOS solenoids (i had DTC code for intake solenoid one year before) no change in behaviour, but the code vent away and never goes back.
Tested all coil packs and replaced spark plugs. (although never had missfire DTC)
Checked PCV system for leaks.
I do not have any O2/fuel mixture codes.
VANOS and VVT required/actual angles are correct.
Both cats checked for clogging with endoscope camera (they are loking good).

I am already searching for crack/ leak from exhaust mainfold....

Link with hissing sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKH5dLgTqTQ

Did you have some ideas?

Many thanks for your help!

Thorttle01

Post by Thorttle01 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:07 pm

....My car is BMW e87 130i with N52B30AF engine.

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Wed May 05, 2021 5:51 pm

Thorttle01 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:05 pm Hello Guys,
I have exactly same symptoms like Propaintballa wrote. Including hissing sound under car on right side, where exhaust mainfold is.
All values in INPA seems to be normal. No DTC at all.

I have:
- Jerky deceleration when rpm<2000. More significant when engine is cold. The car sometimes shakes like tyre would have defect.
- Surging at constant speed. I am fighting with gas pedal like crazy if i want maintain constant speed.
- Hissing sound under car. Can be hear only outside the car near front right wheel.
- Power/torque loss in whole rpm spectrum.
- Popp sound from exhaust after giving very little throttle. Deeper and louder exhaust tone when accelarating than before and lack of power.
- Light smell of exhaust gasses on hard acceleration but only when the window is open.

Checked both DISA units (outer was broken, but no change after replacement).
Replaced VANOS solenoids (i had DTC code for intake solenoid one year before) no change in behaviour, but the code vent away and never goes back.
Tested all coil packs and replaced spark plugs. (although never had missfire DTC)
Checked PCV system for leaks.
I do not have any O2/fuel mixture codes.
VANOS and VVT required/actual angles are correct.
Both cats checked for clogging with endoscope camera (they are loking good).

I am already searching for crack/ leak from exhaust mainfold....

Link with hissing sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKH5dLgTqTQ

Did you have some ideas?

Many thanks for your help!
Interesting and infuriating. I was reading that thinking it sounds like clogged cats, but seems not. A few things...
  • It could still the the CCV even though it is not leaking, it could just be diverting the crankcase gases incorrectly/not at all. What mileage is your car and has it ever been replaced? Generally speaking, I think they are past it by 100k
  • Have you checked for oil in the eccentric shaft sensor connector? Blob connector on the top of the cam cover towards the front of the car
  • Have you checked your fuel trims? I know you don't have any mixture codes but they could still be way out of whack without triggering
  • Could also be MAF sensor
Turner_e90 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:44 pm Hi there, i’ve never used a forum before but i’ve read a few pages here and there on this thread as im having the same issues. I’ve recently supercharged my 330i even tho i have these issues and my tuner is thinking its the ccv. I have a febi bilstien ccv kit coming and when I replace that i’ll see if that fixes my issue and let you know. I’ve also already changed plugs, coils, battery, eccentric shaft sensor, changed small DISA valve as was throwing code (big one looks fine), cleaned vanos solenoids and check valves (i know not the best thing but🤷🏻‍♂️) i will also be replacing my water pump and thermostat in the next few weeks. This is all because of these issues and my car was also down on power by 25bhp.

Thanks
Did you have any luck with the CCV @Turner_E90

Thorttle01

Post by Thorttle01 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:07 am

Thank you for your reply and ideas!

My car have now 150k miles on the clock. I tested my CCV according this: https://bimmerprofs.com/crankcase-ventilation/ and my STFT does not change dramaticaly if I open oil cap, it takes a while to STFT starts to grow.

I have little oil around eccentric shaft sensor seal. Cleaning connector did not helped for me. New seal ordered and is on the way to me.
Did you think, that oil in connector or bad sensor can make these problems even if no MIL is triggered, errors not saved in ECU camshaft angle is like expected in INPA?

My short term fuel trims are little negative (rich) on both banks , so no expectation for vacuum leak or lean mixture.
STFT_B1=-0,5mg/stk
STFT_B2=-0,4mg/stk
LTFT_B1=+2,5%
LTFT_B2=+1,8%

My MAF was cleaned, but no change in behaviour were observed. Live data from MAF are looking good, but I think that the value is little bit low at idle. I have only 11kg/h at idle. Can someone share his airflow value at idle with same engine??

* My car behaves not constant in time... One day more surging and huge lack of torque / other day much better. But I can confirm
, that my car is down on power. In first situation, definitely not by 25bhp.... it feels like aroud 100bhp drop! My previous car was E36 with M52B28 engine (192bhp) and I had same or better acceleration and but mooooore torque!

I ordered exhaust back pressure gauge for cats testing. It should arrive soon, then lets see...

Turner_e90

Post by Turner_e90 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:19 am

@propaintballa

I have replaced my ccv and my god it has transformed my car! It feels soo much better to drive the power is nice and loose compared to before it felt like it struggled with it.

Car is almost perfect now however say i go for a drive, turn it off leave it for 5-30 mins (or more as thats all i’ve tested) turn it back on the revs still judder a little for like 5 seconds but not as bad. I have also swapped my vanos solenoids around which seemed to help with this to make the juddering minimal. So possible solenoid replacement but i think thats its tbh.

Only complaint now is that the torque low down until 4k rpm is pretty rubbish but i thinks that’s because the timing doesn’t advance until then, other then that, great! :D

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Fri May 21, 2021 10:27 am

Turner_e90 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:19 am @propaintballa

I have replaced my ccv and my god it has transformed my car! It feels soo much better to drive the power is nice and loose compared to before it felt like it struggled with it.

Car is almost perfect now however say i go for a drive, turn it off leave it for 5-30 mins (or more as thats all i’ve tested) turn it back on the revs still judder a little for like 5 seconds but not as bad. I have also swapped my vanos solenoids around which seemed to help with this to make the juddering minimal. So possible solenoid replacement but i think thats its tbh.

Only complaint now is that the torque low down until 4k rpm is pretty rubbish but i thinks that’s because the timing doesn’t advance until then, other then that, great! :D
Well that's great news, glad you managed to get it fixed! This makes me think even more now that I should replace my CCV again with better components.

As for your other slight judder, you might have a vacuum leak somewhere else? Have you checked the intake boot for spits?

Turner_e90

Post by Turner_e90 » Fri May 21, 2021 9:45 pm

propaintballa wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:27 am Well that's great news, glad you managed to get it fixed! This makes me think even more now that I should replace my CCV again with better components.

As for your other slight judder, you might have a vacuum leak somewhere else? Have you checked the intake boot for spits?
Thank you mate appreciate it :)

I replaced mine with a febi bilstein ccv so a good brand for bmw’s. Because my car is supercharged i didnt need the pipe that goes from the oil separator to the intake manifold as i have hosing that goes straight into the charger inlet. However the separator was full of gunk and fully clogged, i also changed the others pipes that was included in the kit.

Im not too sure about the slight judder still as because my car is charged all the intake hosing is new (only had supercharger for a month or 2 now) and i feel like everything is all secure and air tight by trying to pull everything off after i fitted it😂 only other thing I haven’t replaced is vanos solenoids so could be that but dont know for certain.

I will be dynoing the car again soon to see how much more power its made and see if my tuner could check over things.

Thanks

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:39 pm

Here we go again! Car passed its MOT so ordered the Febi CCV kit. Annoying, as mine is an early car I need a slightly different hose that connects the separator to the intake manifold. I should have done this to start with :(
IMG_20210618_173535.jpg
IMG_20210618_173535.jpg (176.37 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
The only other part that could be causing issues is my non OEM MAF... Fingers crossed the better quality CCV finally puts my issues to bed, but I am not holding my breath!

colb

Post by colb » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:35 am

Replace the non oem Maf, they are known to have issues, they rarely work or last long, been there done that with mine, oem Maf Bosche or Siemens brands, they work straight out of the box.
Z Shed Cymru member
1999 1.8 Z3
2003 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville 650
If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... source=url

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:42 am

colb wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:35 am Replace the non oem Maf, they are known to have issues, they rarely work or last long, been there done that with mine, oem Maf Bosche or Siemens brands, they work straight out of the box.
So I replaced it with the non OEM part made by Hella, so wasn't a cheap knock off. When I replaced the original I did it as preventative maintenance. I still have the original and have swapped it back and forth over the years with no real difference. Admittedly the original could be duff as well, but certainly have no codes or anything. But yeah, most stuff I have replaced I did so with OEM parts, so not sure why I cut corners with these two components. As the age old adage goes, buy cheap, buy twice! After the CCV I will likely get a new MAF.

Fadi-shamleh

Post by Fadi-shamleh » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:13 pm

Hi my friend, do you solve your car problem? I have the same problem :(

iiNNeX

Post by iiNNeX » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:25 pm

I recently upgraded my Bosch coilpacks to the new Delphi units BMW now recommends, along with NGK Iridium plugs. It make the car start and run smoother for sure, however I still have some odd idle issues for the first 20 seconds or so after starting the car from cold. That I am going to presume is the CCV which in my case (black top N52) requires new rocker cover as its embedded.

I would change plugs and coils and see if the issue is still there mate, its not that expensive in the long run and something worth doing regardless.

EDIT: Just realised I only read the first page of this thread which is a few years old now and have not caught up with the rest, my bad but my advice still stands in case you have not yet changed those components haha.
'07 E85 Z4 2.5Si Sport Individual - Manual - Build Journal - Now gone
Ruby Black / Champagne Extended Nappa

propaintballa

Post by propaintballa » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:17 am

Completely forgot to update this. Fitted the 2nd CCV kit a couple of months ago with no change in behaviour sadly. Very frustrating indeed!
Fadi-shamleh wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:13 pm Hi my friend, do you solve your car problem? I have the same problem :(
Sadly not! I am not sure I ever will if I am honest!
iiNNeX wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:25 pm I recently upgraded my Bosch coilpacks to the new Delphi units BMW now recommends, along with NGK Iridium plugs. It make the car start and run smoother for sure, however I still have some odd idle issues for the first 20 seconds or so after starting the car from cold. That I am going to presume is the CCV which in my case (black top N52) requires new rocker cover as its embedded.

I would change plugs and coils and see if the issue is still there mate, its not that expensive in the long run and something worth doing regardless.

EDIT: Just realised I only read the first page of this thread which is a few years old now and have not caught up with the rest, my bad but my advice still stands in case you have not yet changed those components haha.
Thanks for the input. This crossed my mind when I replaced the coils as I replaced them with Bosch coils, despite knowing about the updated Delphi part. I can't remember why, but I don't think I could get the Delphi coils at a reasonable price at the time. I am not convinced it would make any difference in my circumstance, but who knows! :lol: I think my next port of call is a new Siemens MAF. But at £130 or so, it's a lot to gamble on :/

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:37 am

propaintballa wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:17 am Completely forgot to update this. Fitted the 2nd CCV kit a couple of months ago with no change in behaviour sadly. Very frustrating indeed!
Fadi-shamleh wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:13 pm Hi my friend, do you solve your car problem? I have the same problem :(
Sadly not! I am not sure I ever will if I am honest!
iiNNeX wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:25 pm I recently upgraded my Bosch coilpacks to the new Delphi units BMW now recommends, along with NGK Iridium plugs. It make the car start and run smoother for sure, however I still have some odd idle issues for the first 20 seconds or so after starting the car from cold. That I am going to presume is the CCV which in my case (black top N52) requires new rocker cover as its embedded.

Thanks for the input. This crossed my mind when I replaced the coils as I replaced them with Bosch coils, despite knowing about the updated Delphi part. I can't remember why, but I don't think I could get the Delphi coils at a reasonable price at the time. I am not convinced it would make any difference in my circumstance, but who knows! :lol: I think my next port of call is a new Siemens MAF. But at £130 or so, it's a lot to gamble on :/
Have you driven your car with the maf disconnected so it runs on the default map? If it runs well it points to a faulty maf.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold