Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CDV delete v clunky 1st to 2nd

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:18 am

My 2005 2.0i is a but stiff /baulky when going into 2nd gear.. I have read a few threads on the CDV delete idea, but I am not sure if this would help with my issue or if it is more suited to easing clutch slippage and jerking etc.

Any thoughts (or alternative suggestions)?

BBB

ErrErrminator

Post by ErrErrminator » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:26 am

The CDV delete is more about smoothness of the take-up. You may find that changing the gearbox oil will make gear selection a bit easier/slicker if it’s currently a bit notchy. Although it is a bit of a characteristic of these boxes I believe.

Big Bad Boris

Post by Big Bad Boris » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks EE. Does anyone know if this is a job a mechanic can do with the car on the driveway? If so, how long should it take (roughly). I have a mobile mechanic coming on Monday to do a couple of other little jobs on the Zed, will see if he can fit in the gearbox oil change in as well if it a relatively short fix time wise.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:05 pm

My BMW Indy charged me for an hour labour to remove and replace the gearbox selector bushings, remove the CDV, bleed the clutch and change the transmission fluid on my E46 325ti (so same M54 engine as a 2.5i Z4) last November.

But he did have the benefit of it being on a ramp! Still it can't do any harm to ask. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:23 pm

If he has the car on stands to do the other jobs, its about 15 minutes extra to do the gearbox oil (assuming he will be able to do other jobs while it drains)