Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Washer jets blocked

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
parabolica

Washer jets blocked

Post by parabolica » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:17 am

Washer jets seemed to die today, like the reservoir had run out of liquid, and it had which was weird as I knew it was getting low but the warning hadn't sounded. Anyway I topped everything back up and the jets worked fine for 1 squirt, but immediately died again. You can hear the pump running so that seems to be fine, which must mean there is a blockage either in the pump or the tubes. The light washers work fine; I noticed they have their own separate pump so that explains that.

Has anyone removed their washer pump/hosing before? Any tips? Pump looks easy to get to but wish I had known something was up before I filled the reservoir back up!! The hose seems pretty tough/PITA to remove as it's wrapped in tape the entire length along with some wires.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Washer jets blocked

Post by buzyg » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:20 am

I had a very similar problem a little while back. Most likely the lines are blocked with algae. A good clean out sorted mine.

stupot1

Washer jets blocked

Post by stupot1 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:48 am

Pop the pipes off and blow through then take the filter out of the reservoir. Mine was covered in green gunk, bit like 1980's hair gel !
I took the reservoir out as well and cleaned, 1 or 2 bolts that's all.
E86 Sapphire Black, Auto, 224's

parabolica

Washer jets blocked

Post by parabolica » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Sounds good; will go attack it once the rain is off!

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Washer jets blocked

Post by Jembo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:26 pm

stupot1 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:48 am Pop the pipes off and blow through then take the filter out of the reservoir. Mine was covered in green gunk, bit like 1980's hair gel !
The filter on the resovior is a common blockage point & known issue (on most cars)

Recommend never going for premixed screenwash... always run to empty & refill with a full fresh mix... I use the Halfords green stuff (most expensive stuff they do) as really good & neve4 had an issue once flushed, cleaned & refreshed
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

stupot1

Washer jets blocked

Post by stupot1 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:23 pm

Jembo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:26 pm
stupot1 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:48 am Pop the pipes off and blow through then take the filter out of the reservoir. Mine was covered in green gunk, bit like 1980's hair gel !
The filter on the resovior is a common blockage point & known issue (on most cars)

Recommend never going for premixed screenwash... always run to empty & refill with a full fresh mix... I use the Halfords green stuff (most expensive stuff they do) as really good & neve4 had an issue once flushed, cleaned & refreshed
Absolutely
Think the previous owner used washing up liquid!
E86 Sapphire Black, Auto, 224's

skelters

Washer jets blocked

Post by skelters » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:02 pm

Jembo wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:26 pm

I also add a bottle of Rain-X.
2007 Z4 3.0si Sport. Silver Grey Metallic, Brembo Brakes, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Machine Monkey Exhaust Tips, Stubby, Piano Black trim, Black Leather, Bilstein B12-Pro-Kit, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on MV2's. Roof Motor in the Boot!

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Washer jets blocked

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Yes, almost certainly algae in the fluid reservoir blocking the filters on the pump.

I had this problem with my E86 and my E46. Reservoir out of the car, pumps out, filters cleaned, reservoir flushed then all back together with fresh washer fluid.

I just used cheap fluid from Tesco, but never put anything different in as mixing fluid seems to be what causes the problem. 2 years on all good! :D
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black