Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Arrrgg - Sporadic amber engine warning light... only when cold though!?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Theog

Post by Theog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:14 pm

Evening all,

I thought this problem went away but it seems to be coming back like a ghost fart.

When I bought the car, the guy before said that this happens every now and then but the main BMW dealer couldn’t find the issue. He did quite high mileage so I'm pretty sure they would have seen it more than once. Given that it was sporadic, and the car was fine when I got it I didn’t really mind too much. Given this I’m guessing it’s been happening sporadically for over 4 to 5 years now!?

Either way it isn’t affecting MOT or anything else, just appearing every now and then and not even remotely affecting power / performance / engine noise or anything else. Then when you start it up again, sometimes it's there the same day, sometimes gone!? I've noticed that long journeys (when cold) can cure it. But the next day can be a new day so to speak.

The ONLY correlation I can see is that it starts happening when it’s cold. Perhaps cold & wet!? Either way it hasn’t come on at all since the early months, and has been 100% fine. Then recently it happened again!

I showed it to my local Indy, and stupidly didn’t write down what he said. I think he said it MAY clear up with the next service interval when the spark plugs will be changed. But that’s due in 13k miles, so kinda annoying and I would prefer to not have to do that too soon. Also I'm doing only a few miles at the moment.

Either way, I’m looking to sell my car fairly soon and want to get rid of this annoying thing as I don’t want to pass this problem onto anyone. I could wait till the summer and sell to a faceless garage (when there is no problem), but I would prefer to get it working and sell to a real enthusiast like I would like to receive a car!

Anyone experienced anything similar? Lambda sensor? Any other recommendations? Please note I’m not that technically minded, so if anyone could recommend some easy checks / procedures or anything which I can pass onto my local indy (so I don’t have to spend too much when he checks it over).

To be honest any advice would be great.

FYI I’m based in Kent if anyone’s a local Z4 hero.

Best,

Theo

rally-chris

Post by rally-chris » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:24 am

You need someone competent to plug a code reader in and see if there are any fault codes stored, otherwise we’re just guessing at a cause.

Lambda sensors are a possibility but I’d be surprised if the light would reset itself after that, as it affects the homologated emissions and would be deemed a serious fault. I can’t see that new spark plugs in themselves are going to cure the light either so my money would be on another electrical item at fault like a coil pack or crankshaft position sensor.

Chris
08 Z4 3.0si Sport Coupe in Montego Blue

Tekoo

Post by Tekoo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Check out this thread. You might be dealing with a DME software problem.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/show ... rt-Problem

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:39 pm

What engine is it ?

Theog

Post by Theog » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:48 pm

@rally-chris - yes I think I best go back to my garage to see what they were saying.

@Tekoo - very interesting indeed. Now that you say it, sometimes I start my car and it takes ever so slightly longer to start than usual. Not a massive amount but maybe on the 'third chug' it then starts. I thought this maybe down to me not using for 4 days... maybe the battery needs to be replaced which is causing issues!? I guess the winter will always bring out the worst in battery due to lights / heating elements etc. I will be honest and say I don't really understand most of the technical stuff in that last post. But I maybe able to twist a mate's arm at work who may have something which can read the condition of my battery.

I swear I'm cursed with electrical issues, as my old SEAT Ibiza had a really stupid but simple electrical issue (not grounding properly).

@Z4M-2006 it's an N52 3L 2007 SI.

Theog

Post by Theog » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:59 pm

On a side note, in the south east are there any garages people would recommend specifically for Z4?

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:04 pm

OP, do you know if it is on the original battery?

I bought my current 06 plate 3.0Si in May 2016 and it was sometimes sluggish to start - strangely more often when it was hot! But then in October 2016 it started showing an amber EML for Cat issues, and when it went for a full investigation in December 2016 it needed a new battery! (Those codes caused the EML to stay on until they were reset).

Which seems to have solved both issues. :D

I always use TWG Automotive in Camberley (as do a few other forum members) but that is quite a trek from you. Hopefully someone can suggest someone nearer to you!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:48 am

Going off your info I would suggest injector issues

They are notorious for sticking overnight, this generally causes a light misfire, then it clears for the rest of the day ..

Fault codes produced usually is random multiple misfire, cylinder misfire and crucially , fuel pressure correlation

Theog

Post by Theog » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:33 am

@MR Tidy - we seem to bump into each other quite a bit these days don't we! Thanks for the advice, very interesting indeed. To be honest I don't know how to tell if it's the original one. Here is a pic - https://www.dropbox.com/s/remqpyojr8alc ... 0.jpg?dl=0

@Z4M-2006 - the thing is, it doesnt misfire according to my ears. Just slightly slow on start up which makes me think it's just a sluggish battery.

Anyone had experience with Munich Legends?

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:19 pm

Slow cranking or turns over a lot before the engine fires ?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:16 pm

If it’s bringing the engine management light on it WILL have a code. No point in making any guesses before that is read. You could just invest in this and have something for the future or an easy resell on Ebay for £30 ish.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creator-Reader ... ref=plSrch
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Mike6

Post by Mike6 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:50 pm

I think if you look under 'dealer feedback' there have been a few comments about Munich Legends.

Theog

Post by Theog » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:11 pm

Afternoon all.

First of all a massive thanks to @Mr Tidy for this one... I spoke to my garage and at first they were a little unsure but when we plugged the computer it came up with the following error codes:
- 2a99 - camshaft. Reference
- 5df4 - battery voltage low
- 6128 - eps vehicle speed
- 15 - under voltage seat heating
- 3a, 89

It seems that the battery was original! So lasting from 2007 is quite impressive. Especially with 140k on the clock!

So we changed the battery over, faffed around a bit then did another check... all was fine, but not oddly I have a new issue which (0d - driver anti trap on window)... essentially the driver side window doesnt fully go up when you give it one tap. Instead you have to pull it to keep it going. Fine on the way done... very odd though.

Small thing so not that bothered at the moment... that being said, I'm happy it has found the solution to the engine light issue.

Crazy when you think about it, but glad it's sorted now!

Once again, thanks to Mr Tidy for this one!

Chenti

Post by Chenti » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:59 pm

Just jumping in on this thread if I may

Getting in the car this evening I get the orange warning light as the image below.

No sounds or engine behaviour any different from normal. Been driving lovely since August. Turned car on/off a couple of times and light!still on. Drove home at reduced speed (20 miles,no miss fires or temp issues.)
Grrrr, very weird. It’s chucking it down with rain this evening, though I wouldn’t say it’s been cold.

Anyone around the Northamptonshire area with the ability to plug in and check the codes for me?
Or anyone with recommendations for indy’s around here?

What kit do people recommend to buy so I can read the codes myself ?

I have a 3.0si Manual
Thanks for your help
Vince
Attachments
37568274-7F65-4A96-A944-8CD6682F3070.jpeg
37568274-7F65-4A96-A944-8CD6682F3070.jpeg (117.97 KiB) Viewed 1333 times

Theog

Post by Theog » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Chenti wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:59 pm No sounds or engine behaviour any different from normal. Been driving lovely since August. Turned car on/off a couple of times and light!still on.
Sounds similar to mine... no obvious difference appart from a cursed christmas light.

I think we should call this issue 'the grinch' due to it's winter nature.