Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

GM5 module .... confused

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
SeanConnor

GM5 module .... confused

Post by SeanConnor » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:25 pm

All,

I have been having problems with the remote locking for ages now. I have come to the conclusion that the GM5 relays are PROBABLY knackered. Now I could send it off for repair or do it myself (I'm an electronics engineer). However the keys are also ancient and
a bit knackered .I replaced the battery in one of them and now it won't open the doors and fails to re-program using the method detailed on here several times ie working key to pos 1 .. press sequence of buttons on non working key etc etc). It still starts the car however.

Sooo I have managed to get hold of a replacement GM5. If I buy a couple of new keys can I just program the keys with an AK90 and pop in the new GM5 ? I thought that you could but somebody told me that you need to code the GM5 to the car ? I must admit to being a bit confused by this as the car will start without ANY GM5 attached.

Dazed and confused.

Swindon
2008 Sport Coupe Automatic with lots of extras.

Now with cruise control and Mediabridge :driving: Gold wheels HAVE BEEN SACKED.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

GM5 module .... confused

Post by Ewazix » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:14 pm

I'm not sure about key coding etc but the GM5 must be coded to the car and is generally easier to send it off for a quick turn-around repair. I've done a couple and posted some tips here viewtopic.php?f=34&t=102586&hilit

I'm wondering if the DME/EWS modules may have gone out of sync with the damaged key? (That could sound like I know about DME/EWS, which I don't! :) ) but would be where I'd start researching since DME/EWS control starting whilst the GM5 can be removed and the car will still start but locking, wipers, roof, windows etc won't work.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

SeanConnor

GM5 module .... confused

Post by SeanConnor » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:08 am

Thanks for that. It looks like a send it away job then. I'll put the spare in so that the wipers work.

Cheers
Sean
2008 Sport Coupe Automatic with lots of extras.

Now with cruise control and Mediabridge :driving: Gold wheels HAVE BEEN SACKED.