Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof won’t open/ lock

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
celticrider

Roof won’t open/ lock

Post by celticrider » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi, I am new to this for so i apologize if not proper, and a long post to get everything in I have done. It has been suggested to post here for my issue.
I am from Canada and it was suggested that you UK guys are the best in sorting out Z4 issues. I have a 04 Z4 that the roof won’t open properly.
It always closes and locks with no issues.
When we bought the car last year a new motor/pump was installed as the roof was inoperable.
When we 1 st had the car the roof would open all the way by itself and lock,although slower than closing, and it would close with no issues. Then it started that it would unlock from the windshield, and either slowly open and maybe lock, or we would have to help it start to open then it would continue opening by itself slowly, but would go to about 3-4” from locking, at that point we would either have to raise the roof a bit then hit the open button, sometimes it would lock, most times however it would get close then we would have to push down on the roof to get it to lock.
This is the way it is now.
It always closes fine.
When closing it sounds like it has lots of power, when opening sounds like it is not under much pressure, but always attempts to open, but can’t do it by itself. This is strange because as I understand the same components open and close the roof.
The windows always open and it unlatched from the windshield, then slowly starts to raise but can’t make it open without help.
With one suggestion I bled the system by releasing the red handle and pressing the open/ close buttons 3-4 times for 10-15 seconds.
Thinking maybe oil is low, but now leaks ever showed.
If it weee low on oil, is it possible to affect only one way of operation?
And is there any way of adding or checking oil level in the pump’s installed position
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Dave

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Roof won’t open/ lock

Post by ph001 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Welcome! All we ask is a picture of your Z in exchange for this wonderful advice! :rofl:

I suspect your problem is an intermittent / sticking bypass valve. If you try and cycle the red handle a few times in both directions you will probably find it improves / changes for a while. It is a motor out job I'm afraid for a refurb (and a relocation to the boot while you are at it). There are about 5 or 6 people on here that are a dab hand at it and can do for around $100, but I'm really not sure if anybody your side of the pond has the knowledge to do it. There is no need to remove the roof - can all be done from within the boot.

This thread will be very useful to you... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107063&p=1553168&hi ... n#p1553168
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

celticrider

Roof won’t open/ lock

Post by celticrider » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:48 pm

Thanks for the reply
I will try your sugggestion on the bypass.
As far as the motor, it’s less than a year old, and the fact it raises fine, should it not suggest that it is working proper?
What is your thoughts on low oil?

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Roof won’t open/ lock

Post by ph001 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:18 pm

There are two separate valves / circuits for raising and lowering so they are independent to a degree. If the fluid was low, I would expect both operations to be affected. The valves can be adjusted as described in the link above - maybe you will be lucky and that is all that is required.

Have you been routinely checking the drain holes under the bottom of the car to ensure the 'bucket' the motor sits in is not filling with water again?
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

celticrider

Roof won’t open/ lock

Post by celticrider » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:22 pm

I have checked the drains, they are open
I run water along the roof bottom edge and it came out the bottom in front of the tire.
I assume that is a good way to check.
If some better way, please advise as I am new to this vehicle.