Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Soft brake pedal + errors :(

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
bbrys

Post by bbrys » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:31 am

Hi, yesterday after a bit harder braking a lot of errors came up on my dash and I have noticed that my brake pedal became soft.

When I start to push the brake gently, pedal is constantly going to the bottom and not braking well, I have to release it for a moment and once again press it. If I press it bit harder then the car brakes almost like normal.

Now, for a while I have this error on my dash but when I connect INPA, the error is not there and when I clear error history it won't dissapear:

Then, when I press brake hard, another errors are showing:

When I connect INPA, no errors are stored in the memory so I don't know what happened :?
After I restart the car, only one light is in the dash (the one from the first picture).

Does anybody know what is the reason of this? I have checked brake fluid level and it's full, have checked abs sensors in every wheel and all of them are connected.
Do you think ABS pump just said byebye to me?

Lance

Post by Lance » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:58 am

I had part of that combination of error lights recently, the one within the Rev counter and one of the other two (can't recall which), was one of the brake pressure switches failed, which are located at the bottom of the master cylinder. Was a cheap (purchased from a breakers) and quick fix. No pedal issues with my situation though.

aarsavage

Post by aarsavage » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:27 pm

Did you check the errors on the brake module itself?

greg81

Post by greg81 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:32 pm

Either new pads or sensor required

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:59 am

bbrys wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:31 am When I start to push the brake gently, pedal is constantly going to the bottom and not braking well, I have to release it for a moment and once again press it. If I press it bit harder then the car brakes almost like normal.
...I think this is the most important bit. Seals in the master cylinder are leaking. Replace / refurb master cylinder before you do anything else.
master cylinder.jpg
master cylinder.jpg (97.76 KiB) Viewed 796 times
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.