Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Outside Temp sensor says -25c...roof does't work. Drive around a bit, temp rises and roof fine. Any ideas?

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
TimFisherUK

Outside Temp sensor says -25c...roof does't work. Drive around a bit, temp rises and roof fine. Any ideas?

Post by TimFisherUK » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:59 pm

OK...this one's a bit odd. My external temp. sensor has gone squiffy and seems to have taken the roof with it.

When the car is started from cold, the temp sensor reads anything from -30 to -25c...and the roof does't work - no lights, red, yellow flashing or otherwise. No other warning signals of any description...car drives fine as is perfectly happy otherwise.

I initially thought it might be famous wet motor syndrome, but having driven around a bit, the outside temp rises and as soon as it get's to -9c the roof works fine.

Thought I'd see if anyone had any experience of this type of situation before I start dismantling things...

Any ideas?

Cheers

Tim.

Keet

Post by Keet » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:11 pm

I'm sure that the e89 top won't operate below a certain temperature, so I'm guessing it's the same for the e85. So if the temperature is reading as low as you say then maybe that's the cause.
Keith

Alpine White, 2014 e89 20i M Sport (It's my wife's really :D)

TimFisherUK

Post by TimFisherUK » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:25 pm

yeah...doing some research - seems like the sensor's failed. Probably need to replace it.

TimFisherUK

Post by TimFisherUK » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:17 pm

reset sensor by the disconnecting battery, leaving it 10 mins, then plugging it back in. Sorted.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:25 pm

well done that man !
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:26 pm

well done that man !
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.