Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Blown speaker behind drivers seat

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
S6Z4

Post by S6Z4 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Hi I’ve noticed the speaker directly behind my head has now blown so needs replacing , has anyone made a link on how to remove the console between the seats so as to get access ? Got the upper part off and now I’m stumped as to what needs unbolting and what doesn’t ? Also will the roll bar hoop covers need to be removed to get the two side panels infront of the speakers out ?
Any help greatly appreciated as really want to do the job myself and the install rather than go to a dealer/ audio centre
Regards and thanks
Dan

Magicarcher

Post by Magicarcher » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:37 pm

For instructions google NewTis and enter your car spec, also try youtube. I recently did this myself, the rollbar hoop covers do not need to be removed but the rear cover behind the rollbars do. Big word of warning, once the rear covers behind the rollbar are removed DO NOT raise the hood, I tore the lining on both sides doing this, there are sharp plastic prongs that become exposed.

The other consideration is why do you want to replace it. When I upgraded my audio I disconnected both rear 3" speakers, I just have subs in the back, unless you have 10 speaker DSP system the rear 3" speakers create an unbalanced soundstage. The one directly behind your seat has to pass mid to high frequency sounds through 2" of foam and leather and if it could do that the sound would probably arrive at both ears not your right ear. So all you are likely to hear is the passenger one in your left ear. That just seamed wrong to me. in addition I aam a little old school and like the sound to come from in front of me, i wouldn't dream of going to a concert and turning by back to the sound like "the voice". Try fading everything to the front and see if you like it (it is a personal thing after all) that is what I did before I disconnected them.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.