Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

DISA - Replace or Repair

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Mr Z

DISA - Replace or Repair

Post by Mr Z » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:31 am

I had an hour or so kill on Sunday afternoon, so rather than mowing the lawn I decided to take a look at my Disa valve to see what kind of condition it was in. There was some very slight play in the flap in the rested position but more concerning was the fact that with very little effort at all, and just using my fingers, I was able to pull the retaining pin completely away from the main body of the unit :o

I am now unsure as to what to do. My options appear to be;

1. Replace with a brand new OEM BMW unit
2. Replace with a non-gen new unit
3. Replace with an OEM second hand unit or
4. Buy a repair kit and re-build

The first option is very expensive but the other 3 are all reasonably priced.
What should I do............

Mike6

DISA - Replace or Repair

Post by Mike6 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:34 pm

If you buy new you will get another dodgy build plastic one. The repair kit comes with alloy components and does away with the pin so will eliminate future problems. It reminds me that I purchased a rebuild kit but have yet to fit it.

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

DISA - Replace or Repair

Post by Ducklakeview » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:22 pm

Pin coming out isn't an issue, as it's held captive when fitted. If there is any play between the flap and bell crank, then it's not going to work properly/ Rebuild kit every time.

Mike

Mr Z

DISA - Replace or Repair

Post by Mr Z » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Cheers, re-build kit ordered. Hope its not TOO complicated as me and the spanners dont get on :oops: