Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Undertray screw removal

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Undertray screw removal

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:09 am

Went to do a gearbox oil change on a mates F30 and one of the undertray screws broke. The 8mm head spins but must be rusted in, as they are the same as used on our cars has anyone got any tips for removal? I couldn't get mole grips on the washer as there is not enough room.
Is drilling out the only option?
I thought about using a dremel to cut the head off then cut a slot for a screwdriver.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Chris_D
Lifer
Lifer

Undertray screw removal

Post by Chris_D » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:06 pm

If it's a diesel F30, pump it out with a PELA pump
If petrol, I'd drill out the bolt... easy enough to replace.
:thumbsup:
E85 3.0i roadie (03) 'Benny'. E93 320d M-Sport Cabrio (11) 'Bob'.
'Always different, always the same.' John Peel on The Fall.

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Undertray screw removal

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:52 pm

Anyone removed without drilling? I'd like that to be a final option as the thread isn't very thick. I've not been able to see behind and wonder if it's the clip that may be broken?
I don't have a pump to suck out the fluid, and would prefer to drain anyway as the box has both plugs.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

G600

Undertray screw removal

Post by G600 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:06 pm

If the head is spinning it's got to be the nut on the other side that's the problem, they often split away from whatever is supposed to hold it in place, try and grip it with pliers or something while you turn the screw
E85 3.0

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Undertray screw removal

Post by Scooba_Steve » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:41 pm

I can't tell what's behind it from RealOEM but think it might be one of the clip type screw receivers. Trouble is that the tray is securely clipped in so getting behind wasn't possible... :headbang:

G600

Undertray screw removal

Post by G600 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:29 am

Scooba_Steve wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:41 pm I can't tell what's behind it from RealOEM but think it might be one of the clip type screw receivers. Trouble is that the tray is securely clipped in so getting behind wasn't possible... :headbang:
In that case if it was me I'd grip the head with pliers or mole grips, drill off the head so you can remove the undertray then replace the clip nut.
E85 3.0

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Undertray screw removal

Post by Scooba_Steve » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks chaps, gives me some ideas... Simple jobs that never are!