Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Broken drain pipe

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
ERX

Broken drain pipe

Post by ERX » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:44 am

Well recently I have made a thread about cleaning the inside of my soft top due to a smell in the car. It was suggested that a cause could be that the drain pipe on the passenger side is blocked and this can cause water to overflow into the car, under the seat. I didn't get round to cleaning the drain hole until after it rained (and the car suddenly smelt a lot worse, and I realised it had been a damp smell all along).

So taking a look at the drain pipe from underneath, it didn't seem like there was really any dirt. With some further inspection from above, it was evident that some idiot before me has hacked at the area where the drain pipe is connected to the car, completely breaking the pipe free from the actual drain hole, so the pipe actually isn't collecting water as it should. I have attached a picture for you guys to see what I mean. The plastic has been broken so there is now just a big hole in it and you can see the pipe just floating freely.

Would this be the most likely cause of my water leaking issue?

Spent all day trying to make a temporary fix for the pipe but it was no good in the end. Going to buy a new pipe and new plastic for it to connect to.

The main reason for this post is I would like to know if there is any easy way of accessing that drain hole area without taking the whole roof off, as I am not looking forwards to that :(
Attachments
20180813_135548.jpg
20180813_135548.jpg (161.88 KiB) Viewed 1076 times

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Broken drain pipe

Post by Ewazix » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 am

I think I'm right in saying that the cubby where the roof sits has absolutely no aperture where water could get from the 'swimming pools' on either side where the drains are, in to the car interior. It looks like someone has popped the drain right out to improve flow and prevent blockages which is a bodge, but shouldn't cause water inside the cabin. It's not ideal as dirt, noise and spiders will get in but isn't going to cause anything tragic.

Water under the seat is more likely the membrane inside the door being breached, or possibly the door/window seals. The membrane stops water from running down the window, through the door in to the car and are disturbed when fixing the common window regulator issue.
Previous thread: viewtopic.php?t=94907
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Ducklakeview
Lifer
Lifer

Broken drain pipe

Post by Ducklakeview » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:54 am

If the pipe has become detached from the plastic drain tray, then it's a roof off job I'm afraid.

Did one a few weeks ago with same problem. Takes about 90 mins.

Mike

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Broken drain pipe

Post by Jembo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:12 pm

There’s a few places water seems to creep into these cars and while you’re on a mission suggest you check everything

- under the bonnet (hood), I seem to remember there’s a flap towards the back of the engine bay that lets water escape from the windscreen wiper air vents which can get blocked
- window seals. With the vert constantly dropping & raising at each door operation, these get harder & worn over time
- underneath door seal. Coming back from silverstone in a torrential downpour I once had water come in on the passenger side, which again was a worn seal
- boot. I never had an issue, but some have found either the boot seal or drain flooding finds its way here
- windscreen. If it’s ever been repaired, there’s always the chance has not been sealed properly

Otherwise good hunting
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

ERX

Broken drain pipe

Post by ERX » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks all for the responses. I quickly tested a few of the things mentioned but they seem to be okay. I will have to test them more thoroughly when I can get the hose out.
Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:54 am If the pipe has become detached from the plastic drain tray, then it's a roof off job I'm afraid.

Mike
Ah that is a shame to hear. Do you know if the car you fixed had any problems with leaks inside from the pipe being detached?

Just for everyone's information, the new hose and new plastic funnel will cost around £50 in total (about £31 for the funnel and £20 for the hose).

Mike6

Broken drain pipe

Post by Mike6 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:37 pm

This may be a silly question but you are aware that the roof motor sits above the drain hole on the passenger side making it more likely that it will flood in this area and it is more difficult to check that the drain pipes are clear. You need to avail yourself of the services of a forum member to move the motor into the boot. Whilst doing this it will become clear whether or not the drain holes are blocked.
Another area where water can get into the cabin is if the area under the scuttle gets clogged with leaves etc which blocks the front drain holes and allows water into the cabin. I only took my scuttle cover off a few weeks ago. It is tricky as the clips are all plastic and you need to be careful particularly the 4 along the front edge. Get a few from ebay before tackling.

ERX

Broken drain pipe

Post by ERX » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Mike6 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:37 pm This may be a silly question but you are aware that the roof motor sits above the drain hole on the passenger side making it more likely that it will flood in this area and it is more difficult to check that the drain pipes are clear. You need to avail yourself of the services of a forum member to move the motor into the boot. Whilst doing this it will become clear whether or not the drain holes are blocked.
Another area where water can get into the cabin is if the area under the scuttle gets clogged with leaves etc which blocks the front drain holes and allows water into the cabin. I only took my scuttle cover off a few weeks ago. It is tricky as the clips are all plastic and you need to be careful particularly the 4 along the front edge. Get a few from ebay before tackling.
My roof motor has been relocated to the boot already. What you see in the picture is the drain pipe, floating freely, which is supposed to be connected to a plastic funnel. The funnel hole is usually much smaller, but there is now a large hole as you can see in the picture as somebody has broken the funnel and the hose.

I had a look at the scuttle area, it doesn't appear to be clogged with anything but I haven't taken the cover off.

Mike6

Broken drain pipe

Post by Mike6 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:42 pm

You do need to remove the scuttle cover. Others have reported a fair build up of debris under there, mine was not that bad as car does not live outdoors.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Broken drain pipe

Post by Ewazix » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:31 am

The front scuttle drain is covered here and can cause a lot of water to slosh about once it's blocked
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40973&p=576732#p576732
P1000706.JPG
P1000706.JPG (220.75 KiB) Viewed 890 times
P1000707.JPG
P1000707.JPG (139.6 KiB) Viewed 890 times
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

ERX

Broken drain pipe

Post by ERX » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:04 pm

Ewazix wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:31 am The front scuttle drain is covered here and can cause a lot of water to slosh about once it's blocked
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40973&p=576732#p576732

P1000706.JPGP1000707.JPG
Thanks for the photo, I will give this a proper look over tomorrow :)

Magicarcher

Broken drain pipe

Post by Magicarcher » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:29 pm

Ducklakeview wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:54 am If the pipe has become detached from the plastic drain tray, then it's a roof off job I'm afraid.

Mike
That is probably only because it is you, i think most people would take much longer.
Z4 3.0L 2005. Titan Silver. Audio Upgrade Second Stereo Pioneer X8700DAB, Sony Xplode 4 x 70W Amp, 6.5" Reckhorn Subs in rear cubby, Focal AS165-3 in fronts.

ERX

Broken drain pipe

Post by ERX » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:49 am

Took the roof off yesterday, surprisingly it wasn't too bad a job. Now today I will have to figure out how to take off the plastic trim that is underneath the roll hoop covers and under the bit where the seat belt guide is.

Got some pictures of the new drain parts as well, I will upload later for people wondering what it looks like in there.