Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help needed with emgine management light.

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
JonLeeper

Post by JonLeeper » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:59 pm

So I'm driving to my mother's this evening to stay over before starting a new job on Monday and the engine management light has come on!

There does t appear to be any other symptoms, it still drives fine and hasn't gone into "limp home" mode but I'm slightly concerned about exactally what's gone wrong! I cannot not use the car this week as its my first week and I'm nearly 200 miles away from home!

Is there anyone who has the ability to plug in a code reader and see what's failed anywhere close who wouldn't mind helping?

I should be in Brackley, NN13, in about an hour. I'm then in Northampton, NN4, all day tomorrow before driving to a hotel in Derby, DE74, and commuting to and from there to Bardon, LE67, for the rest of the week.

Many thanks in advance,

Jon
My daily driver, and occasional track toy,
56 plate e86 3.0si sport.
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Front and rear strut braces
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

90 miles and climbing, slowly.
:driving:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Sorry I can't really help, but if it's an amber EML according to BMW "You can continue your journey, but moderate your speed and exercise due caution. Have the vehicle checked without delay".

I'd risk driving it until you can get the code(s) read, but obviously the sooner you can the better.

Good luck getting it sorted. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

JonLeeper

Post by JonLeeper » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:42 pm

20180812_193701.jpg
20180812_193701.jpg (115.92 KiB) Viewed 481 times
It's this one. I don't have my manual with me so not sure if it's the same as you're referring to.

Thanks though

Jon
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 pm

Your breakdown cover may read codes for free. Or buy a reader, it will pay for itself instantly.

You also need to top up your washer fluid :lol:
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

JonLeeper

Post by JonLeeper » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Scooba_Steve wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 pm Your breakdown cover may read codes for free. Or buy a reader, it will pay for itself instantly.

You also need to top up your washer fluid :lol:
I will get a reader, but as I'm away from home getting it wlll take a little while. Do you have any recommendations?

Also I was wondering how lo g before someone commented on the washer light! 😎😎. If it makes any difference I need to top up the oil as well!
Black
6 pot front brakes
B12 kit
Polly bushed
Short shift kit

mr wilks
Legend
Legend

Post by mr wilks » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:36 pm

Wouldn't worry too much over this week , sometimes a change of fuel can trip O2 / cat sensor & its possible in a tank or 2 of different fuel it will reset . Ive come across the same situation previously on both my own & other members Zs
If it remains over a longer period then its a diagnostic check to pinpoint the exact sensor that needs swapping ( if it is that )
3 ZMRs
3 E89s
5 Si coupes
5 Si roadsters
997 C4
TTRS
F82 M4
MK7 Golf Gti
current Bmw 6 Gran Turismo

tug

Post by tug » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi Jon, the light your referring to is emissions :o But nothing to worry about :) If you have a 2.0 zed just get the code cleared and give it some beans! take it up to 4000 through the gears. Mine used to suffer with this but since i learned that these motors need to be thrashed on a regular bases i have had no problem with that for over a year and my zed is as sweet as a zed could be. Oh, just realized you have a 3.0 sport :oops: But no matter, just open her up :driving: she will love it :D

Cheers, tug :thumbsup:
E85 N46 2.0i SE BLACK SAPPHIRE