Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Steering issue at highway speeds

Discuss problems you have had or are having with your Z4
Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:18 am

Hey guys, sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't really find a good post on here after half an hour search. Except for one remark made in this topic on sticky steering: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106915&hilit=sticky+steering

Ben G commented the following: "Still not 100% sure what this 'sticky steering' actually feels like. Mine likes to twitch at motorway speeds, to the point where I can take my hands off the wheel and the steering wheel will physically move left and right of it's own accord.

It doesn't make for enjoyable journies. It feels as if I'm constantly fighting to keep the steering wheel straight.

Is that sticky steering?"

That's exactly what mine feels like now. Someone suggested that the bushes might be worn and further in the topic also read that only models up to 2006 suffered "sticky steering" and that symptoms are different from what I'm suffering. I noticed before that some of the wheel alignment weights were laying on the ground next to my car so I assumed that this was the issue. Got all wheels aligned but still get the issue at highway speeds.

So my car is from 2007 and now has done 115K kms. From what I know from the previous owner, the rear set-up has been entirely renewed about 2 years ago, but I don't think the front suspension has ever been refurbished.

So long story short, it seems like at least my front bushes need replacement but I'd like to know a little more on this before looking at this. Actually, I'd like to know if it is hard to do yourself or better to go to a good garage and get it fixed? I suppose I'll need an alignment afterwards as well? Anyone can recommend a good topic or tell me some more on this? Preferably with pics...

Thanks for your help guys!

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:00 am

What you are describing isn't classic 'sticky steering' caused by the column.

I had the same M'way wander on my 2003 when I first had it and on other cars with similar low profile sports set-ups (SLK etc) and it's usually down to a combination of factors. Tyres are a very common cause even when they appear OK, tread pattern type, wear, distortion or simply a combo in terms of size F/R. Swapping decent looking tyres for a new set vastly improved mine. Further improvement came with new lollypop bushes (front end, lower rear control arm bush) and front anti-roll bar bushes, drop links and track rod ends which were all MOT passes but worn. Then finally ironed out the last of the wandering with two different wheel alignments, the second being done by someone who knew what they were doing! I've had years of absolutely stable problem free running since.
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

Scooba_Steve
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Scooba_Steve » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:27 am

Rear trailing arm bushings will also help, when I fitted poly with integrated limiters it also reduced tramlining.
3.0si Sport: F10 Illuminated ZHP, Retrofit Cruise, OE Stubby, Gaptech RCH+, Kenwood BT73DAB + Handsfree, HIDs, LED Sidelights, OE LED Number Plate Lights, Custom LED strip bootlight.

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:45 am

For my good understanding, what parts are we speaking of? Number 8 on this diagram? Seems that some of the rubbers are integrated in the wishbone, so I better get that replaced too?

What about the stabilizer rod? Should I replace part number 2 as well to be sure? I have the M-suspension, not sure if that's important to mention?

mjennings23

Post by mjennings23 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:28 am

If youre at 105k and the front has never been refreshed, you'd be best off replacing the control arms too. They have ball joints that wear over time and are integrated into the arm so the full thing has to be changed. Very easy if doing alongside the bushes and you can get full kits with new arms, lollipops and drop links for around £200 on ebay here in the UK.

So the lollipop bushes and arms are shown in photo 1, parts 8 and 11. Roll bar bushes and drop links parts 2 and 5 in photo 2

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:04 pm

I see, I already ordered parts 8 and 11, so I'll get parts 2 and 5 from pic 2 as well then. After install, I'll get a full alignment as well.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll keep everyone posted on progress...

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:47 pm

On Facebook someone says that Steering angle sensor calibration is required afterwards? Never read that before.

Ewazix
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ewazix » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Bad_Pritt wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:47 pm On Facebook someone says that Steering angle sensor calibration is required afterwards? Never read that before.
Mine did not need it.

If you are removing part 8 (lollypop) yourself be aware that the rubber bush is filled with oil and can split, not good when you are underneath looking up when it goes! :oops:
2003 2.5 SE, low miles, Sterling Grey, 108's & Eagles, no stubby here! Unmolested.
2018 Cooper S Countryman
Fiesta Ecoboost

devilishdoc

Post by devilishdoc » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:26 pm

I had symptoms very similar to what you have described. Part 11 in the above diagram was changed as part of an MOT recommendation but didn't make that much difference to the drive if honest.

New Michelin PS4's all around and a hunter alignment have made a massive difference though and pretty much eradicated the issue.

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:45 am

I’m currently replacing the parts but having some trouble getting the wishbones off. I got myself a ball joint bearing separator fork which should do the trick. Droplinks and powerflex rubbers for the stabiliser rod already replaced, which were clearly in need of replacement: a lot of movement on all rubbers, the rod was easy to move up and down with an iron bar. After replacement of those parts, it was a lot firmer! Coming weekend I’m replacing the wishbones and might paint the calipers red as well.

road warrior

Post by road warrior » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:47 am

At last, and thank you to bad pritt for explaining better what I have been wittering about but failed to explain fully my issue. Unfortunately I don't know the names of the parts like he does.. My little 2.0 has the same issues sadly and is spoiling the fun by this twitching at 60mph.
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Bad_Pritt

Post by Bad_Pritt » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:29 pm

There are plenty of vids on YouTube on this, but you really need the ball joint separator If you want to give it a go yourself. A couple of sturdy jacks are recommended too.

Jembo
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Jembo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:04 pm

With the E85, there’s lots of little things you can do to make a difference. I’ve listed them in the order I found the most improvement on my 3.0SE

1. Front lollypops (poly)
2. RTAB’s (never fitted limiters but have a set arrived today to go on the //M)(poly)
3. Bilstein B6 shocks (was running M-Sport suspension so kept springs)
4. New Michelin PS3’s all round
5. Full Wheel alignment & something my indie did for toe in as races M3’s
6. Steering tie rod ends
7. Front & rear drop links
8. ARB bushes(poly)

Again... each bit made a difference, 1 being the most, 8 being the least.

. never did the shock top or engine mounts ... but some say ... you’ll notice a difference

Hope you have deep pockets...but what’s most strange is my AUDI A3 Quattro which I bought new & ran to over 100k still felt almost as taught as the day I bought it & never changed any of this stuff
Joined the dark side with a ///M Hell Bronze Sepang Coupe :happyclap:
Ex Aug 2005 Maldives Blue 3 litre cruizer, lots of toyz,

Lifer 54

Jakg

Post by Jakg » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Have the same problem on mine and am still investigating.

Polybushing the lower arms / RTAB just made it worse as everything stiffened up.

A wheel alignment and adjusting the power steering effect (turning the disc thing on the column) has helped a bit but it's still nowhere near where it should be.

Joycey

Post by Joycey » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:46 pm

Another thing that's often overlooked on the E85/86 is the wishbones outer joint (to the hub), most cars have a ball joint there but the E85/86 has a rubber joint which mine quite a bit of play in.

I would adjust the steering ring as its simple a free first.